Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
rlestage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Windows 8 support is being developed at the moment. We will have a Windows 8 beta driver available by the end of the year.

Thanks

Wim
For most of us, "later this year" is not really good enough. A quick fix would be nice, as a lot of devs run Multiple Displays. We're testing Dev preview and it's forcing me to find another piece of hardware if DisplayLink isn't going to be quick to push out this driver. It's now Mid-October...There should be something
rlestage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
plus.ec

Dears admins,
I agree with rlestage user. We need a quick update, there should be something. Most users that test Windows 8 Preview, uses this pre-realease as main PC and not as test as should to be, but I'm one of first. That use this pre-release as main, at least not as main but yes as secondary pc on laptops and tablets.
We would appreciate if you provide us any beta drivers to test on windows 8 Preview asap.
plus.ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
steinersupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlestage View Post
For most of us, "later this year" is not really good enough. A quick fix would be nice, as a lot of devs run Multiple Displays. We're testing Dev preview and it's forcing me to find another piece of hardware if DisplayLink isn't going to be quick to push out this driver. It's now Mid-October...There should be something
I do agree with both you of, a quick fix would be nice. Being able to have doughnuts and coffee every day with out adverse consequences would be nice, so would having all the money we would ever need. However, if the Developer Preview is being used as it is intended then hopefully the developers and others in related IT fields already know that the turnover in a development cycle varies. We were already told that they are working on it, and given an approximate time (later this year, and come on, there isn't much year left). Give that part of the purpose of a developer preview is to allow companies like this to get cracking on developing drivers and software for the new os even before it comes out as a beta, I think it is good that this company is ahead of many others (there are always some who wait until a final OS comes out to start working on supporting it, plenty of examples from 7 and Vista and even before).

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. It is possible that neither of you posters realized how you came across to some, so let me help provide illumination. It seems that you are saying that because you are devs, you expect this in a time frame which in the development world is almost right away, while not allowing any professional courtesy to the devs who are working on making a stable enough beta driver for a pre-beta OS that just came out. I'll just come out and say it, even if it is unintentional, it comes across as trollish. Please future posters, unless they miss their time frame with no accounting for why, let's keep this conversation on topic and try to be respectful of others.
steinersupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinersupport View Post
I do agree with both you of, a quick fix would be nice. Being able to have doughnuts and coffee every day with out adverse consequences would be nice, so would having all the money we would ever need. However, if the Developer Preview is being used as it is intended then hopefully the developers and others in related IT fields already know that the turnover in a development cycle varies. We were already told that they are working on it, and given an approximate time (later this year, and come on, there isn't much year left). Give that part of the purpose of a developer preview is to allow companies like this to get cracking on developing drivers and software for the new os even before it comes out as a beta, I think it is good that this company is ahead of many others (there are always some who wait until a final OS comes out to start working on supporting it, plenty of examples from 7 and Vista and even before).

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. It is possible that neither of you posters realized how you came across to some, so let me help provide illumination. It seems that you are saying that because you are devs, you expect this in a time frame which in the development world is almost right away, while not allowing any professional courtesy to the devs who are working on making a stable enough beta driver for a pre-beta OS that just came out. I'll just come out and say it, even if it is unintentional, it comes across as trollish. Please future posters, unless they miss their time frame with no accounting for why, let's keep this conversation on topic and try to be respectful of others.
Thanks steiner

This is exactly the position at the moment. There are some major graphics changes in Windows 8 that we are having to work with. This is taking time to develop, and we are using the Developer preview to do this as quickly as possible.

This is the way support for a new platform is done and the reason for the preview release: for us and others to develop support for Windows 8.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
lincthra

Well, only 23 days left in the year! Hopefully we'll see something in the beta forums here shortly!
lincthra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Wim

Hi All

I'm pleased to tell you that the Windows 8 preview build is now available and there is a Windows 8 forum.

The Preview release can be downloaded from this thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1331

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote