Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 05-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
Axodus

Default 1 out of 2 external displays lagging on Ubuntu 20.04

Hey, I am running Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10 on my ThinkPad E595 (AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics). I have two external monitors plugged into it via the Toshiba Dynadock. On Windows 10 it works like a charm, but on Ubuntu 20.04, the monitor plugged into the Docking station is constantly lagging, but the monitor plugged into the laptop is fine.

Below are the files from the troubleshooting tool.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2020-05-13T22:11:37.127031.zip (366.8 KB, 0 views)
Axodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us on the forum.

Could you please tell me how extensive are the lags? Are they around 1s delay? If possible, could you record a video for us to see them?

As a possible solution, please try using Wayland and let me know if this has helped in any manner or the issue is exactly the same.

Thank you for your actions and feedback.

Best regards,
Jakub

Last edited by JakubDabrowski; 05-15-2020 at 07:06 AM.
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
alhae

Hello,

I am using a ThinkPad E595 with Ubuntu 20.04 as well (Ryzen 7 with Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics) and experience the same issues. It is not only about lag but an extremely choppy and laggy image. The issue seems to be related to the Ryzen Processors and the EVDI Interface, as can be found here: https://github.com/DisplayLink/evdi/issues/164.

The link also includes a video that is an exact representation of my current experience.

I can confirm that the problem is the same when using Wayland, maybe a tiny bit better but still unusable.

I really hope this issue can be solved in the near future.
alhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
myersrj

Default Display Link Lag/Stutter with Ryzen

I have the same problem with my AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics. Problem is not an issue on Intel only Ryzen (tested same image against my Intel).

On Ubuntu 20.04 stuttering/tearing/lagging exists on both X Org and Wayland making it unusable.
This problem has existed for some time and I have seen it on 18.04, 19.04 and 19.10 when using the X Org drivers. When using the Wayland drivers on 19.04 the problem went away (The configuration I am using now).

The below link shows a picture of a laggy/tearing screen when you move a window from left to right. (I copied this from the website mentioned above)

https://user-images.githubuserconten...dca3019135.png

Given that the Laptop screen and HDMI port work fine I am assuming this is an issue with the Display link driver.

I am very keen to resolve this issue and am willing to promptly provide any information required to debug this. I am technically minded and have reasonable Linux skills.

Please let me know the next steps.

Regards Ralph.

Last edited by myersrj; 05-29-2020 at 12:04 AM.
myersrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
zixemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersrj View Post
I have the same problem with my AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics. Problem is not an issue on Intel only Ryzen (tested same image against my Intel).

On Ubuntu 20.04 stuttering/tearing/lagging exists on both X Org and Wayland making it unusable.
This problem has existed for some time and I have seen it on 18.04, 19.04 and 19.10 when using the X Org drivers. When using the Wayland drivers on 19.04 the problem went away (The configuration I am using now).

The below link shows a picture of a laggy/tearing screen when you move a window from left to right. (I copied this from the website mentioned above)

https://user-images.githubuserconten...dca3019135.png

Given that the Laptop screen and HDMI port work fine I am assuming this is an issue with the Display link driver.

I am very keen to resolve this issue and am willing to promptly provide any information required to debug this. I am technically minded and have reasonable Linux skills.

Please let me know the next steps.

Regards Ralph.

I have same problem((((9 PLZ HELP AMD(((
zixemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
myersrj

Default Workaround for Displaylink on Ryzen with integrated graphics

Hi Zixemike,

I have been able to run 20.04 without tearing by using the amdgpu-pro drivers.
Only thing to be aware of is you need to join displays with you computer or it will slow down to a 3 second lag. You cant just have your DisplayLink monitor on and your computers monitor off. It seems to work perfectly otherwise.

Driver can be found here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...ed-linux-20-20

Just extract and run the amdgpu-pro-install -y command.

Hope this helps.
myersrj is offline   Reply With Quote