Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #131
Ruud

Smile Still no black-out!

Hi all,

I just want to say that I did not have any black-out since starting to use the right USB port..

Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #132
longplaypg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm View Post
I think i'm getting an longer USB3.0 cable to connect to dock with the laptop. Because the length of the original cable is wayyyyyyyyy too short

Or is the provided USB3.0 cable something special??
From my experience I have 2 USB 3.0 cables.

One that is clearly marked e301195, super high speed, USB revision 3.0, with the proper USB 3.0 connectors and thicker cable. Waiting on confirmation no USB errors in debug logs, but works the best to me.

One that is not marked at all, with the proper USB 3.0 connectors, and a thinner cable. Thinking this one may not be full USB 3.0 support and causing some USB errors in support logs.

I was thinking about testing with a 3rd cable that is longer with dual ferrite cores, labeled for USB 3.0 super speed, and proper USB 3.0 connectors. I just haven't bought one yet.
longplaypg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #133
tbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
Hi all,

I just want to say that I did not have any black-out since starting to use the right USB port..

Ok good, i've just transferred the 10GB test file mentioned earlier, and after receiving 577 MB @ 15.0MB/s the network connection was lost! Pulling the USB connector didn't work... No Display/LAN....

So i had to remove the power from the dock and rebooted the machine, and all was working again...

@Ruud
Try to transfer large files via LAN, using the highest speed possible.... I will try it too later tonight to see what happens...
tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #134
longplaypg

Quote:
Ok good, i've just transferred the 10GB test file mentioned earlier, and after receiving 577 MB @ 15.0MB/s the network connection was lost! Pulling the USB connector didn't work... No Display/LAN....

So i had to remove the power from the dock and rebooted the machine, and all was working again...

@Ruud
Try to transfer large files via LAN, using the highest speed possible.... I will try it too later tonight to see what happens...
Please understand I have the following hardware which is probably different from yours.
  • Dell XPS 13 L322x
  • Kensington SD3500v
  • Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit host
Using right USB 3.0 port without powershare with the Ethernet connected to the docking station
  • First snapshot shows the transferred 10gig file from win8 RDP back to win7 host SSD hdd through terminal service share
  • Second snapshot shows the complete desktop with multiple RDP sessions and a transfer going from the win7 ssd through terminal share back to the win8 hdd
  • Third snapshot shows the near final transfer speeds. I got interrupted and had to take the snapshot a little early. Both transfers did complete fully and I never got black screens or lost my Ethernet.
Does your USB 3.0 cable have any writing on it?
Does it have the blue USB 3.0 connectors (especially that new B male one)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displaylink 20131008 1128.jpg (35.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Displaylink 20131008 1134.jpg (111.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg displaylink 20131008 1135.jpg (37.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #135
tbm

@longplaypg

Thanks for the info!

My configuration is:
- Dell XPS 13 L322X
- DELL D3000 Docking
- Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bits

I've looked at the cable and the writing on it says:
AWM E89980-A STYLE 2725 80C 30V VW-1 28AWG/2P+1P 26AWG/2C SUPER HIGH SPEED USB Revision 3.0

Both connectors are the BLUE ones, and on the connector i see the SS for Super Speed.

At this point i haven't had any black-outs, using the RIGHT USB port. The first black-out i've reported was due to network configuration changes i think. I'm doing stress tests to see if i can force an black-out No luck so far, so that's good

Seems that if i stream music and download files the network speed becomes slower than normal. If i stop streaming music the download will go much faster. The streaming is only on 128kbps... Guess this is normal?

Is it possible for you to test the transfer speed using USB3.0 harddisk or USB-stick on the LEFT USB port? Too bad i've bought an XPS 13 with only ONE USB3.0 port...

BTW: I have USB PowerShare ON!

Last edited by tbm; 10-09-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #136
longplaypg

Quote:
Seems that if i stream music and download files the network speed becomes slower than normal. If i stop streaming music the download will go much faster. The streaming is only on 128kbps... Guess this is normal?
I haven't actually tried any audio or video streaming yet

Quote:
Is it possible for you to test the transfer speed using USB3.0 harddisk or USB-stick on the LEFT USB port?
Sorry I no longer have these 2 laptops in my possession currently. I might have access to 1 of them in a couple weeks and I will ask the end use if I can borrow it again.

Quote:
Too bad i've bought an XPS 13 with only ONE USB3.0 port...
I know what you mean. That left port is labeled as SS 3.0 with powershare, but sure doesn't seem to be a full SS 3.0 even.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #137
tbm

Now updating the drivers version 7.4 M2, released 11 Oct 2013 to test the ethernet improvements... Later this week i'll test the longer USB3.0 SS cable...

The left USB port is functioning as USB3.0 BUT when i transfer large files >4GB Windows keeps informing about a new detected USB device, so the connection to the USB drive gets lost and it reconnects again, but serveral times... Very strange...

So far no black-outs occured using the RIGHT USB-port...
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #138
Misstify

Hello folks!

I've been lurking these forums for several weeks and am recognizing many of the same issues to those that own the Dell XPS's and the Targus Docking station.

I work in a medium sized business and we will eventually have about 60-70 people here at corporate with this set up.

I really just want to thank those who figured out to use the right USB port on the XPS rather than the left. Such a simple fix yet genius in the same. Changing my users over the right has made a lot of people happy. We are 1 week in so far and we've had no problems!

Mary
Misstify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #139
carminus

I have updated intel usb 3 for xps (maybe other computers) drivers.

Read all steps before doing!

Directions:

1) download
2) unzip files
3) start run type this: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
4) select troubleshoot
5) select boot options
7) choose 7 " disable signed drivers..."
8) right click on intel usb 3 extensible host then properties
9) update driver (browse --> let me pick from a list... --> have disk)and choose point to the location of where you unzipped the attachment pick iusb3xhc.inf then choose intel usb 3 extensible
10) you will then see another unknown driver in device manager
11) update that driver using the files in the zip but pick iusb3hub.inf *usb 3 hub*
Attached Files
File Type: zip Intel_usb3_x64.zip (494.6 KB, 8 views)
carminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #140
carminus

You can try these drivers out without the above steps, just update the driver using normal mode. Let me know if this works.

For Intel x64 usb3 windows 8.1
Attached Files
File Type: zip signed.zip (485.3 KB, 28 views)
carminus is offline   Reply With Quote