Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
flipside

Question Hardware acceleration disabled only when using Displaylink - Windows 10

Hi,

I have a program (SketchUp) which runs perfectly fine when I am not using DisplayLink. When using DisplayLink however the software will not start and has the following error:

- Hardware acceleration is unsupported or has been disabled on your graphics card

To re-iterate, there is no issues with this when not using DisplayLink.

Laptop: ASUS K501UQ
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce940MX
Dock: Targus USB3.0 DV Dock with Power
DisplayLink Driver: 8.1.843.0

Does anyone have any ideas at all?
flipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

It would depend on which version of Windows 10 Home you are using. You can get this from the about section of the settings of Windows.

However, from the description, I would think the issue is around the application not being about to route the calls to the graphics card.
DisplayLink doesn't do that feature and never has. This is a feature of the GPU, not the DisplayLink driver (or that would be software acceleration, not hardware) or adapter.

What kind of "hardware acceleration" does your application use?

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
flipside

Hi Alban,

I appreciate your time and response.

Windows 10 Home version: 1607
OS Build: 14393.693

The application works absolutely fine when I unplug my Targus Dock for which I am running the DisplayLink drivers. If I plug the dock back in and DisplayLink drivers are used, then the application fails to load so it does look like it is DisplayLink related.

The recommended hardware requirements in terms of video card:
- 3D class video card with 1GB of memory or higher and supports hardware acceleration. Please ensure that the video card driver supports OpenGL version 3.0 or higher and is up to date.

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX , with 2GB VRAM

When viewing the supported version of OpenGL whilst using DisplayLink, it reports that only version 1.1 is supported?
flipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Good afternoon,

OpenGL is a GPU feature which doesn't apply to the indirect display driver that is the DisplayLink driver since Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
Before Windows 10 Anniversary Update, our driver would see the request and hand it over to the GPU driver because we had a very low level driver. However, in Windows 10 Anniversary Update, DisplayLink driver doesn't even see these calls (and shouldn't have to see them, as they are for the GPU): we get computed pixels, we don't compose the desktop.

We have highlighted that particular OpenGL issue to Microsoft and they are working with the graphics vendors to see how applications can use OpenGL through indirect displays.

In summary, I agree this is an issue with hardware acceleration due to the fact that OpenGL doesn't seem to go to the GPU. I also agree it is seen when using DisplayLink but this is because we led the way in indirect displays and our competitors have not released indirect display drivers yet.
Unfortunately, there is no amount of code in our part which could make DisplayLink driver deal with the OpenGL calls in this OS as our driver doesn't have access to them. I'm sorry I don't have a solution except waiting for MS+Intel+Nvidia+AMD to agree on how they wish to implement OpenGL and OpenGL ES on indirect displays. I'll nonetheless flag the need again to Microsoft when I meet them next week.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 06-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
PeterB

Alban,

Do you have any additional news on this topic? Our company is also seeing this issue with SketchUp 2017 / Windows 10 1607 / DisplayLink. Is there somewhere that the public can review Microsoft's efforts on this issue? Does the Win 10 Creators Update help at all? Does the 8.3 Alpha Driver help at all? Do you have any advice on workarounds?

Thank You,
PeterB
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Peter,

At the moment, Microsoft is waiting on Intel's action.
I suggest you create a bug report to Intel telling them you have an issue with OpenGL through Windows 10 Anniversary Update Indirect Displays standard feature.

We're reviewing the subject on a weekly basis, but we've had challenges getting engagement on this one. Having direct requests from customers may help unblock the request only coming from partners...
These technical discussions are not available publicly.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 07-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
Japerlman

What would be the proper channel to report the issue to Intel? I can just submit it to the first hit on google but I want to make sure it gets to the right people.
Japerlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
PeterB

Intel's driver release in Aug 2017 for Intel 6,7, and 8 Gen procs claims to have addressed OpenGL issues with indirect displays.

Version: 22.20.16.4771
Release Notes: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/270...leaseNotes.pdf
Excerpt: "Enabled OpenGL hardware acceleration when running Miracast or DisplayLink."

I have not tested yet, but will be doing so very soon. I suppose no luck for 4 and 5 Gen Intel proc machines at this time.

PeterB
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Peter,

4th generation was already out of support a year ago.

You should be able to work around the Intel bug by selecting a display directly connected to the Intel graphics card as main display in Windows display settings.
Once the application is started, you would be able to change the main display again, if you wanted. There may be a way to create a script to do that automatically.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #10
Valemir

Default Have the same issues with Solid Works and Altium Need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside View Post
Hi,

I have a program (SketchUp) which runs perfectly fine when I am not using DisplayLink. When using DisplayLink however the software will not start and has the following error:

- Hardware acceleration is unsupported or has been disabled on your graphics card

To re-iterate, there is no issues with this when not using DisplayLink.

Laptop: ASUS K501UQ
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce940MX
Dock: Targus USB3.0 DV Dock with Power
DisplayLink Driver: 8.1.843.0

Does anyone have any ideas at all?
I am having the same issue with Solid Works and Altium and CUDA and .... need help! Please! Is there any update i can uninstall.. My work station is useless now...
Valemir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
graphics, hardware acceleration, sketchup, unsupported