Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
ianr68

Question Need help in connecting two 4K monitors

Good morning,

I recently purchased a Dell D6000 dock so I could connect two 4K monitors (Samsung UR59C) to my Asus laptop (FX705DY) Unfortunately, I have not met with success and I hope one of the experts on this forum can assist.

Here are the steps I took:
*downloaded and installed the DisplayLink software onto the laptop.
*connected the monitors to the dock using DP connection.
*connected the dock to my laptop using a USB-A 3.1 connector.
The laptop seemed to recognize external monitors but nothing would display on either monitor. The monitors both displayed a floating message to check cable. Both DP cables are new - I have difficulty believing they both could be faulty, especially when the laptop recognized that there were external monitors attached.

I then went to the Dell website to look at the user guide for the D6000 - it seemed to indicate that only one external display is possible when connecting to USB-A. So, with this knowledge, I disconnected one monitor from the D6000 and rebooted the computer. Still, nothing would display on the external monitor (although Windows recognized it and set the correct resolution.)

So, I'm a bit frustrated and have almost abandoned my quest to have these two magnificent monitors connected to my laptop. (Note - connecting one monitor to the laptop directly using HDMI works just fine, but I wanted more screen space for work - no gaming.)

So, here are some questions that I hope someone can answer:
1 - is there a way to make this work with my current computer, or do I need to buy another computer that has a USB-C port? (I don't really want to buy a new laptop, but if I must I am considering an MSI Alpha 15 A3DDK-012CA or ASUS X512JA-BB51-CB)

2 - Does it matter what monitor is connected to the dock? Is there a special qualification that a monitor must have to connect properly?

3 - Is there a minimum spec for the video card or will onboard Intel graphics be okay to drive the two 4K monitors?

Many thanks for your assistance!
-Ian

Last edited by ianr68; 08-28-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Ask another question
ianr68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kdisplay, asus, d6000