Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
luuk

Default Windows 10, high load from WUDFHost.exe Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver

Anyone knows how I can fix this? The process WUDFHost.exe Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver cause a very high CPU load.

When this happens the screen works buggie / stays behind / not rendering correctly. Or only render parts.

System details:

Dell Inc. XPS 13 9350
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2592 MHz, 2 core('s), 4 logische processor(s)
M​emory:16GB
​Microsoft Windows 10 Pro​ , 10.0.14393 Build 14393

2x Dell USB3.0 dock D3100
Screen Resolution : 2560 X 1440

Displaylink manager: 8.0.762.0

Thanks for the support
Old 10-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
luuk

I think the problem is caused by the update of windows. And the way how the displaylink software integrate with it.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuk View Post
I think the problem is caused by the update of windows. And the way how the displaylink software integrate with it.
Hello,
I'm afraid I don't understand this, can you explain what you mean?
Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 10-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
luuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,
I'm afraid I don't understand this, can you explain what you mean?
Kind regards,
Alban
Before the update of windows, [Anniversary Update] I mean.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
luuk

Any clue what it can be?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
perlamoldovei

Default Still mouse lag was not removed

I've been expecting for more than one month the update of displaylink driver but the horrible mouse lag was not solved. Before W10 Anniversary update everything worked smooth. I have 3 computers with 2 monitors (1 on video card and 1 on usb - Philips C221S) and one with 3 usb monitors only.
Before W10 Anniversary update all computers worked fine without any mouse lag no matter what i did on the computers.
After W10 Anniversary update the computers with 2 monitors started having an annoying mouse lag on the USB Monitor especially when the computer was doing something, i.e. loading a webpage. I noticed that there is a high cpu load on Windows Driver Foundation when that happened (USB monitor activated and kind of graphic refresh of screen no matter the monitor). Things didn't improve after the last release (25 October) of the DislayLink driver.

Now it is impossible to use two of the computers with 2 monitors as they have a dual core processor. I still have to mention that the computer with 3 usb monitors (and no vga monitor) works flawlessly.

Is there any chance that this issue is solved? I invested a lot in these monitors and tehnically i cannot use them.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
zephnn

We are also still facing the lag issues at our office. It has indeed improved after the last cumulative patch. However in our situation where we use 3 monitors we still can't work with it. Especially when Remote Desktop RDP or VNC is used on one of the secondary screens. I'm not sure how to call it but windows are not refreshing completely it seems. When you go over it with the cursor it gets there.
We removed the anniversary update on one of our systems and we don't experience any issues at all there.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Qvazar

Thumbs down Confirming

Confirming this.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update drivers are causing CPU usage to spike when anything "real-time" happens on the connected USB monitor.

My original setup was a Dell XPS 15 Laptop connected to a Dell D3100 USB docking station with two HDMI monitors attached.
Before the Windows Anniversary Update I could play Guild Wars 2 at 40FPS on one USB monitor while playing Twitch/YouTube content on the other USB monitor. Everything was working smoothly.
After the update, games are unplayable on any USB-attached monitor.
I've resorted to attaching one monitor directly to the laptop with HDMI and playing games on that, but if any rendering happens on the USB-attached monitor, game performance drastically drops. If I play a video on the USB-monitor while playing on the HDMI-monitor, game FPS drops to 20% of before. 40 FPS becomes 10 FPS!

My girlfriend is using a Surface Pro 4 with this same dock and is suffering the same problems; but obviously she cannot connect one of the monitors directly through HDMI, so any continuous rendering on the monitors causes heavy CPU-load and lag and any CPU-heavy load causes the monitors to lag greatly, i.e. when playing Flash games.

I understand that the Windows Anniversary Update forces this new driver model, but this performance decrease is completely unacceptable. You and Microsoft needs to work together to fix this.

I have all Windows, Dell and NVidia drivers up to date.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephnn View Post
We are also still facing the lag issues at our office. It has indeed improved after the last cumulative patch. However in our situation where we use 3 monitors we still can't work with it. Especially when Remote Desktop RDP or VNC is used on one of the secondary screens. I'm not sure how to call it but windows are not refreshing completely it seems. When you go over it with the cursor it gets there.
We removed the anniversary update on one of our systems and we don't experience any issues at all there.
Hello Zephnn,
The paint effect you are describing with having to mouse over to refresh the area has been reported to Microsoft. This is not a lag as you can leave it for a minute and it still won't change.
Can you check if the content of the Print Screen shows the corruption?
Regards,
Alban

Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvazar View Post
Confirming this.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update drivers are causing CPU usage to spike when anything "real-time" happens on the connected USB monitor.

My original setup was a Dell XPS 15 Laptop connected to a Dell D3100 USB docking station with two HDMI monitors attached.
Before the Windows Anniversary Update I could play Guild Wars 2 at 40FPS on one USB monitor while playing Twitch/YouTube content on the other USB monitor. Everything was working smoothly.
After the update, games are unplayable on any USB-attached monitor.
I've resorted to attaching one monitor directly to the laptop with HDMI and playing games on that, but if any rendering happens on the USB-attached monitor, game performance drastically drops. If I play a video on the USB-monitor while playing on the HDMI-monitor, game FPS drops to 20% of before. 40 FPS becomes 10 FPS!

My girlfriend is using a Surface Pro 4 with this same dock and is suffering the same problems; but obviously she cannot connect one of the monitors directly through HDMI, so any continuous rendering on the monitors causes heavy CPU-load and lag and any CPU-heavy load causes the monitors to lag greatly, i.e. when playing Flash games.

I understand that the Windows Anniversary Update forces this new driver model, but this performance decrease is completely unacceptable. You and Microsoft needs to work together to fix this.

I have all Windows, Dell and NVidia drivers up to date.
Hello,
There are several points in this post.
WUDFHost.exe load has no direct bearing on performance. The algorithm uses, and has always used the available CPU to minimise latency and achieve the pixel-perfect we expect. The CPU is used because it's available, otherwise the quality will be dropped temporarily.
Would you look at your laptop to check if there are multiple graphics cards in it? If so, can you please disable the low end one to see if there is a performance gain? We know the Anniversary Update OS will the choose the best graphics card but the one used at startup. We know this because we have already been working with Microsoft on this. The compute of graphics has never done by DisplayLink as this is not a GPU. How do you measure your FPS? Do you have a sensor on the monitor, or is it an in-game counter looking at what the graphics card is handling?

The second aspect around general performance is on the engineering backlog to be worked on. There are a number of features which were available to us prior to this OS which have to be totally redeveloped with this new way of doing indirect displays.
The priority was to have the system work for the OS launch.

Kind regards,
Alban

Closed Thread