Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #11
k001

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombielinux View Post
It will disconnect (monitors go black) but the window manager still thinks they are there.
I don't see it anymore, after updating to displaylink-driver-1.4.210 *knocks on wood*. Which version are you running?

Also, try to boot with dock disconnected, and only connect it once you have logged in.
k001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
zombielinux

I'm running 1.4.210 as well on a fully updated Xubuntu 16.04 installation.

I think i gave the boot without the dock a try earlier, but ill give it another go and report back.

EDIT: Nope, same issue. monitors go black and go to sleep (no display signal received) after about half an hour. The rest of the dock devices (ethernet, usb, audio, charging) continue to work.

Last edited by zombielinux; 10-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.
zombielinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
k001

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombielinux View Post
EDIT: Nope, same issue. monitors go black and go to sleep (no display signal received) after about half an hour. The rest of the dock devices (ethernet, usb, audio, charging) continue to work.
Can you try
[code]xrandr --output DVI-I-1-1 --auto
xrandr --output DVI-I-2-2 --auto
[code]
(changing the monitor IDs accordingly to what you have)?
k001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #14
zombielinux

Interesting, if when they go black (as they just did). Running that command brings them back. Perhaps that needs to be run every time they go black at the top of our xrandr scripts?

EDIT: Nope, that worked twice, then the third time around I got no response.

Last edited by zombielinux; 10-20-2017 at 07:49 PM.
zombielinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 AM   #15
castor731

Default bump

Does anyone have a reliable recipee to make it work? My best bet is to try random things to extend my display to the external monitor. I'm rarely lucky to make it work.
castor731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:50 AM   #16
castor731

Ha! Just made it work. What I did is use my built-in monitor, then power off and on my external monitor and Voila!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #17
Joachim Martillo

I use a D1000. Occasionally when I do a hard reboot, the external display is not detected. I remove and reinstall the USB3 connector, and then it's fine.

I see the same problem with built-in bluetooth, but I must power everything off to bring bluetooth back.

Probably initialization software does not deal properly with latencies associated with various devices during a hard reboot.
Joachim Martillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #18
castor731

I only made it work a few random times in the first couple of weeks. I've now been weeks unable to get the screen to display. I only get the keyboard and mouse working.

Powering off and on doesn't help me anymore.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
PJBrs

I think I've stumbled on this issue as well. I have two jobs, and both employers have decided on widespread use of Dell Universal Dock D6000. Up until now, I have been able to get two monitors working, while three other monitors don't seem to do anything (I tried five different docks, with various different monitors, didn't keep track, although the successful ones were a bit older in appearance)

The following happens when I plug in the dock.
* The DisplayLink device always gets registered with usb:
Code:
lsusb -d 17e9:
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 17e9:6006 DisplayLink
* The evdi kernel module gets loaded
* The DisplayLinkManager service is executed

(By the way, I'm on Slackware64-14.2, with evdi / libevdi 1.5.0 built from source and DisplayLinkManager version 4.1.9.)

In the successful cases, I then have an extra provider if I execute xrandr, which I can activate with xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0. When unsuccessful, nothing else happens. I can replug the device to no avail, I can change between hdmi and display port connections without effect, I can even reboot, but the monitor just sits there doing nothing. I don't get any additional evdi kernel messages either, apart from the regular
Code:
evdi: [I] Initialising logging on level 5
I think that this is a bug with DisplayLinkManager. I would very much appreciate a solution or a workaround. I was looking forward to using these docks...

Last edited by PJBrs; 01-11-2018 at 02:23 PM.
PJBrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #20
edclement

Default Fix for D6000

After a few days of struggling, I managed to find a solution on Ubuntu 17.10. Hope this works for everyone having problems with the D6000 dock. Below format is markdown (to lazy to convert it)

## Instructions for fixing the blanking monitor on dock issue within Ubuntu.
**Make sure to reboot after making the changes!**

#### Disable USB AutoSuspend
* `sudo gedit /etc/default/tlp` and change the below value from `1` to `0`

```
USB_AUTOSUSPEND=0
```

* `sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/01-usb-dock.rules`. This will create a new file.

```
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1bcf", ATTR{idProduct}=="2b95", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1bcf", ATTR{idProduct}=="0005", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTR{idProduct}=="0003", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04d9", ATTR{idProduct}=="0143", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04f3", ATTR{idProduct}=="24a1", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0608", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0610", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0620", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="06c4", ATTR{idProduct}=="c411", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17e9", ATTR{idProduct}=="6006", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
```

#### Disable Display Power Management
* `sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf` Append the below options to the file.

```
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-I-3-2"
Option "DPMS" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-I-2-1"
Option "DPMS" "false"
EndSection
```

#### Disable audio suspend
* `sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa`. Comment out the line indicated below.

```
### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
# load-module module-suspend-on-idle
```

#### Disale USB wake in BIOS
Boot into the BIOS by pressing the F12 key as the machine turns on. Under `Power Management` >> `USB Wake Support` uncheck both boxes.
edclement is offline   Reply With Quote