Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 07-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
locose

Default Disconecting Docking station Crashes Laptop Ubuntu 21.04

Hi strange problem with Ubuntu 21.04 runing 5.11.0-25 ( default for 21.04) install

Everything is working fine with display link. kind of a bit messy moving Displays to the correct order because of the nvidia graphics on the laptop. however when it comes to unplugging. even if i just remove one of the monitors from the dock it completely crashes the laptop. or maybe just the X Server
even to the point that if i reboot it starts by disconecting the dock and then crashes and has to be forcefully reboot by holding down the power.
Only safe way to turn off is to hibernate but then the resume only works if the dock is still plugged in. so i still can't really disconect it safely.

i Have looked in syslog for something obvious and journalctl but not to much luck.

Anyway if anyone has any idea about what steps to take for investigating this would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
locose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:36 AM   #2
Bravo_Mike

Unfortunately finding myself stuck in a similar situation. Asus Zephyrus G14, Ryzen 4800HS with NVIDIA 1650 running Arch 5.13.6 right now. Switching with optimus-manager works exactly as expected, and everything is perfect until the dock is introduced.

Running the iGPU results in absolutely abysmal performance, frame rates in the teens - but docking and undocking work just fine. Switch over to the NVIDIA and performance is fantastic, but undocking, removing a display, making a display configuration change, etc. results in an immediate hard lock of the machine. Only resolution is a power cycle.

I've looked through what logs I can as well trying to find something, but really don't end up with a whole lot of information. Not that it really matters, as I honestly expect there'd be very little official response anyways.
Bravo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
Sgerber

Exactly the same situation here with a HP Zbook Firefly 15 G8 running Kubuntu (kernel 5.11 and Plasma 5.21.4).
It will also crash if I try to change the resolution of one screen (either the laptop one or the ones connected to the docking)
Sgerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #4
python_stat

Default Disconnecting or changing display setting crashes computer

Unplugging the usbc or usb-a or suspending my laptop or updating Displays setting like setting primary monitor, resolution, etc would crash my computer monitor. My screen would freeze and I cannot do anything. I can listen to audio if it happens to be running when it freezes. The only way to fix this is to power reset my computer.

displaylink was working a 2 months ago until I updated my os with one of those routine update.

Setup information
* Dock: Dell D6000 Universal Dock
* VNOME Version: 3.36.8
* laptop: MSI PS42
* GPU: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX150] Driver Version: 470.63.01
python_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
david89

Hello! Exact same behaviour in Ubuntu 20.04 with latest drivers (5.4.1) in a device with two ports. When you unplug, change the resolution, or switch monitors when device is connected, the computer crash and the only way to unlock is power of from the button. If you suspend your computer yo need to have the device plugged, if not, then crash.

This is a very anoying issue. We are suffering it since the last kernel updates (in technical sheet, it is compatible), with no patch or solution. We bough devices with displaylink (not cheap!) to work with our monitors, and we bought an stress: we can't use our JOB laptops as they are, because they crash with a natural use because drivers for community are not serious thing to DisplayLink.

No response from official company, the releases are slow and not coordinated with the official repository of EVDI. This is not serious for a supossed quality product. Please take control of the driver and launch for linux community a FUNCTIONAL DRIVER.
david89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
Bravo_Mike

I'm beyond holding out hope for this product. As a Linux user, my dock hasn't functioned the way it's intended to for several months now, and that's having tested across separate machines with different hardware configurations all the while modifying software configurations to see if I could reach some result that even comes close to reaching a state of reasonable usability.

The utter lack of support and communication across different forums seemingly delivers quite the impression as to where the Linux community lies in their order of priorities (personal guess, it's closer to the bottom of the list than it is the top).

For now, I'm keeping my eyes open for another alt-mode dock that will actually get out of the way and let me work. I don't think I've ever been quite so disappointed in a technology or product as I am with DisplayLink.

"Sky High Prices, Rock Bottom Support!"
Bravo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
david89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo_Mike View Post
I'm beyond holding out hope for this product. As a Linux user, my dock hasn't functioned the way it's intended to for several months now, and that's having tested across separate machines with different hardware configurations all the while modifying software configurations to see if I could reach some result that even comes close to reaching a state of reasonable usability.

The utter lack of support and communication across different forums seemingly delivers quite the impression as to where the Linux community lies in their order of priorities (personal guess, it's closer to the bottom of the list than it is the top).

For now, I'm keeping my eyes open for another alt-mode dock that will actually get out of the way and let me work. I don't think I've ever been quite so disappointed in a technology or product as I am with DisplayLink.

"Sky High Prices, Rock Bottom Support!"
I'm suscribe each word. Please, could be interesting share the similar devices without DisplayLink tecnology, that works (if you don't want share here, please write me a private message). I lost completly any hope: 1 by the unsupported technology on Linux and 2 unsupported community, the base of any good technology.
david89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
MaxBaktBrood

Default Can fully agree

I'm experiencing the same issues as mentioned here on the HP Pavillion 15-ec2xxx laptop. Let's hope this will be fixed.
MaxBaktBrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
racquun

Had same issues on similar setup, downgrading to kernel version 5.4 "fixed" it for me.
racquun is offline   Reply With Quote