Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
bjsmbaker

Default DisplayLink driver crash with Dell D6000 on Windows 10 20H2

I am experiencing a driver crash on Windows 10 with my Dell D6000 dock used in conjunction with my Dell Latitude 5500 (via USB 3.1 Type-C non-Thunderbolt) as deployed by my it staff at my company.

I am using two displays, one 2560x1440 (16:9) and one 3440x1440 (21:9), both at 60Hz.
I am using gigabit ethernet.
I am using all USB ports on the dock. Two of the ports are using 3.1 Type-C devices: A 4K Logitech BRIO webcam, and an external NVMe SSD drive.
I am using the audio on the dock.

I've had a multitude of scenarios where the displays will freeze, the connected devices will all disconnect, and the dock driver will crash as seen in event viewer:

"The device Dell Universal Dock D6000 (location 0000.0014.0000.013.001.000.000.000.000) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem."

My DisplayLink driver is up-to-date. All Dell drivers are up-to-date. All firmware or BIOS has been updated and checked. My windows system is up-to-date.

This seems to occur when I'm suddenly using a high amount of network bandwidth or after I just did something on the window manager, such as move or resize a window.

I do also note in the event viewer the ethernet on the dock is mentioned just before the dock driver crash is reported:

"The network interface "Dell Giga Ethernet" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized."

"Dell Giga Ethernet : Has encountered an internal error and has failed."

However a domino-effect of other devices are crashed at the same time, and thus it is hard to determine if the ethernet is the culprit, or the dock in general.

We have swapped the D6000 out once to rule out a lemon unit.

At this stage I'm suspicious that the DisplayLink technology is being overloaded somehow and causes the crash. If anyone can provide any insights I would greatly appreciate it.

System Specs:

Windows 10 Enterprise (Version 20H2)
Build 19042.746
Intel i7-8665U @ 1.90 Ghz
32GB RAM
64-bit OS

Last edited by bjsmbaker; 01-25-2021 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Added system specs
bjsmbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
leebow55

The Dell Giga NIC is utterly unreliable. Especially in an 802.1x environment. It constantly crashes. Not sure if that is a Dell issue though rather than a Displaylink one
leebow55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dell d6000, driver