Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
Phil Meads

Default 3 added monitors with windows 7

On my laptop, where I run Windows 7, I added the three monitors that I intend to use with my big machine when DisplayLink provides some support for Windows Server 2008 x64.

All three, including my ASUS VW223B and two Diamond BVU160 driven displays could be added together. When arranged as a horizontal series of monitors, they appear to work just fine. However, when arranged as a square pattern with the two driven by the BVU160s above the attached monitor and the ASUS monitor to the right, I was unable to move windows up to either of the upper monitors.

This is the arrangement that I want to use with my DELL server running Windows server 2008 x64.

I did some experimenting copying DisplayLink 5.2 files from my laptop to my DELL, getting some recognition (no wrong OS message) but not anything usable yet.

I had been using version 4.6.19279 (Vista x64 version) completely successfully with the single added monitor being the ASUS VW223B. This arrangement crashes with the addition of another monitor. On the ASUS site, I found a newer VISTA x64 version of 4.6 (=4.6.2) and installed that with no problem. I had hoped that it perhaps would allow me to add the other two monitors, but after installation, it let me know that it was not going to run on my operating system (this did not happen with 4.6.19279), and now I am unable to return to 4.6.19279 ("DisplayLink up to date" although I had removed the DisplayLink graphics). So now I will look at the various log files for a clue.

I would appreciate having someone tell me how to get back to 4.6.19279!

Previously, I had downloaded Microsoft Application Verifier and gone through all of the steps suggested in a previous post. When then attempting to load 5.2, I still got the message that mine was an unsupported operating system. (I spent a full day yesterday working with the various approaches.)
Old 11-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #22
nissimn

Default who deleted my post?

Well, it seems like somebody destroyed my post with the workaround using app verifier to lie about the version in order to get latest driver working on Windows 2008 R2.

Well, devs are monitoring - they do not want you to know that it is working ...

BTW, I've installed the latest NVidia Beta driver for my main graphics card and all problems are GONE!!!

I finally have Windows 2008 R2 running with:
* NVidia GeForce 8800 with latest Beta driver (search beta on NVidia site)
* Diamond BVU160 with recent DisplayLink 5.2 RC 5.2.21555.0
* The workaround I mentioned in the previous post (deleted by admins here).

It is running fast, and no crashes. And, it is even coming from sleep fast after Nvidia Beta driver install....

DisplayLink devs: really. What is the problem with enabling this scenario? You can always say: this is unsupported, you do not have to actually block it. You do not want to test it, fine - but do not block the setup - just add warning in setup...

What are the long term plans re Windows 2008 R2?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #23
angrydeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Dear All

At DisplayLink we have been reading this thread and understand how annoying disabling install on server versions has been for you all.

Due to commercial and contractual constraints introduced over the past few months on DisplayLink, we have had to pro-activly prevent install on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 platforms.

Unfortunately we cannot give any more details of the reasons for this at this time. However DisplayLink is continuously reviewing this situation and we want to try and find a solution that will solve this and prevent this frustration with users.

Thank you for your patience.
Wim

You're assuming we have patience for this type of BS. I just installed Win7 drivers for a Tritton adapter without issue on my R2 installation. Tritton, your competition. Your adapter technology is better, but I'd rather have a sh***y solution than no solution at all. You provide...no solution at all.

Where's the reply? I thought you were going to get back within a week...several weeks ago.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #24
Phil Meads

Angry Another very angry user!!!!!

By the way, I did save the work around instructions that you have now deleted.

Do explain what the problem is that prevents you from making some sort of arrangement for Windows Server 2008 x64 users to get a working driver for DisplayLink.

I've now been waiting about five months!!!!

Now I can't even use one added monitor. Having removed all references to ASUS EZlink and DisplayLink (except for things hidden in the registry), when I try to attach my ASUS VW223B, it looks only for a 5.2 driver, which of, course is not allowed to run. I even tried to masquerade a 4.6 driver to be a 5.2 driver, but that didn't fool it. (There is no mention of displaylink in "program files", and I am prevented from removing those left in SYSTEM32.)

I am considering sending posts to various places, such as CNET, informing readers of my experience with DisplayLink, ASUS, and Diamond, hoping that such negative publicity might have some sort of positive impact on you.

Philip F. Meads, Jr., Ph.D.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #25
Martin

Hi Philip, etc,

Please fefer to Wim's post for the reasons why we have to include the block. I realise this is vague, but the reason is not of a technical nature, and is instead legal. This is the reason why I left it up to another department to respond, rather than getting myself fired.

It is not possible at the moment, therefore, to remove the block. I and the rest of displaylink understand your frustrations and we are constantly monitoring the situation.

Best regards,
Martin.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #26
jfont25

Default This is probably the reason.

http://www.displaylink.com/thin_client.html
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #27
Phil Meads

Thanks for a quick reply. Do have your legal department really look at this--
very soon.

I can't see where you have any liability should you not block us, leaving it up to us to try it out at our risk, and it is only at our risk.

Of course I hope you can quickly release it for Windows Server 2008 x64.

As I've said previously, it works just fine with one added monitor, but not with more. (And right now, adding one monitor has Windows insisting on loading 5.2 to run it--which isn't going to work.)
Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
Phil Meads

Default Using a server as a workstation

One other comment:

I go my Dell PowerEdge T605 server to use as a workstation. I was looking for a machine with error-correcting memory and a RAID 5 disk configuration, and the easiest way to get this was to buy a server. I had also bought a Dell server for my church a year earlier and had been quite pleased with that machine.

I had originally intended to run this using Windows XP x64, but Dell made that impossible so I had to go to Windows Server 2008. Also, Dell made life difficult to expand graphic capabilities by providing no PCI Express 16 slots (only 8 and 4).

I want multiple screens when I am working on Pascal codes for particle accelerator optics where I need to see and modify a lot of routines at the same time.

I also find this very helpful when doing accounting for the Seafarers Ministry of the Golden Gate, where a lot of different sources need to be available at the same time.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #29
Slider-Override

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissimn View Post
Well, it seems like somebody destroyed my post with the workaround using app verifier to lie about the version in order to get latest driver working on Windows 2008 R2.

Well, devs are monitoring - they do not want you to know that it is working ...

BTW, I've installed the latest NVidia Beta driver for my main graphics card and all problems are GONE!!!

I finally have Windows 2008 R2 running with:
* NVidia GeForce 8800 with latest Beta driver (search beta on NVidia site)
* Diamond BVU160 with recent DisplayLink 5.2 RC 5.2.21555.0
* The workaround I mentioned in the previous post (deleted by admins here).

It is running fast, and no crashes. And, it is even coming from sleep fast after Nvidia Beta driver install....

DisplayLink devs: really. What is the problem with enabling this scenario? You can always say: this is unsupported, you do not have to actually block it. You do not want to test it, fine - but do not block the setup - just add warning in setup...

What are the long term plans re Windows 2008 R2?

I have test it with alle Display Link Driver versions, but i don not work

i have a nvidia cards,
can you tell my the Nvidia driver version you user in Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

the Problem is that the screen are blank but it the settings it is listed. (Display5)
Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
Slider-Override

Talking

OOOOo my God it works Jiiiippppyyyy

the Problem was the Nvidia driver true,

i have updated to the 195.62 and now it Works