Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
bsac

Exclamation Webcam Issue on Targus USB 3.0 Dock

Hi,

We have a user who's running a Dell XPS via a Targus USB 3.0 docking station. The dock is working fine with all devices except their webcam (Logitech Pro 9000). She also currently has 2x monitors (HDMI & DVI), Ethernet, USB 3.0 external hard drive, USB 2.0 wireless dongle to connect to wireless keyboard and mouse. The webcam installs perfectly and we are able to view it in device manager, but as soon as we try to enable video via Skype, WebEx, Logitech software, her dock crashes after about 5 seconds (the monitors and applications freeze, her network connection is lost). If we unplug the dock the computer runs as normal, so it's not a total computer freeze. If we plug the webcam into her computer directly it works flawlessly - so we know that this isn't a software issue with the webcam drivers, or with Windows 7.

Problem solving steps so far:
- Deactivated in-built webcam on Dell XPS, same issue.
- Tried initiating video call under another login with webcam plugged into dock, same issue.
- Updated firmware for dock and USB 3.0 Fresco controller, same issue.

I'm thinking this might be a problem with the dock running so many devices, as well as trying to stream HD video via USB 3 - it's as if it's overloaded? The video image that we do get via the dock, before everything hangs, is extremely poor compared to what we get when plugged in directly to the computer also.

Do you have any recommendations? Or is this purely that USB 3 can't handle the amount of bandwidth needed for all devices to connect? Thanks for your help in advance!
bsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you attach the output of this tool?
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
bsac

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply! It passed all the compatibility tests. I've attached the diagnostics zip also...
Attached Files
File Type: zip 53604-N74523_20140331_113059.zip (600.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
bsac

Hi, I'm just wondering if there's been any update on this? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Wim

This is probably not directly related to DisplayLink, as we are just the video part of this dock, and this sounds like a general USB problem.

I see you have the USB 3.0 controller:

Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Controller FL1009 Series
Driver Provider: Fresco Logic
Driver Version: 3.5.100.0
Driver Date: 2013/03/07

I think these were quite early USB 3.0 host controllers. It's possible this is having problems when there are a number of high bandwidth USB3.0 devices on the bus. It sounds like the Host controller or hub in the dock are locking up.

Have you tried connecting the dock to a USB 2.0 port to bypass the Fresco host controller and see if that shows the same issue?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
nikolay

Like usual in a internet forum yes I have exactly the same problem.
Every thing is fine until I use my webcam. Than the PC friezes I lose my network connection etc. Using it on USB 2.0 no problem. But it is very slow. I have connected two screens, gigabit Ethernet webcam and everything over USB 2.0 is not a fun to use. So please help us to understand better the problem or give us a hint how to fix it.

Running on WIN7 32bit

USB 3.0 Fresco Logic xHCI FL1009
Driver Version: 3.5.107.0

Webcam B525 HD from Logitech
Driver from Microsoft
Version: 6.1.7601.18208

DisplayLink USB 3.0 Dock from DELL
Driver Version: 7.6.55049.0
nikolay is offline   Reply With Quote