Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 09-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
PT_Barnum

Default Displaylink Dock screens freeze

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 from 19.10. I was afraid to upgrade since the displaylink was working so well. After upgrading and installing the drivers it works pretty well.

One of the things that has annoyed me is that the displaylink screens (it's a dual lenovo 3.0 dock) tend to randomly freeze. Often they'll still have an image on them but it doesn't update. This happens once a day or so and necessitate a reboot to get them working again.

It would do this periodically on 19.10 as well.

Other than this it works great. I just wish I could reenable/reinitialize them without rebooting.

I have to keep using windows+shift+arrows to get my windows back on the visible screen.
PT_Barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:26 AM   #2
PT_Barnum

One thing I've noticed is that when my Ubuntu system comes under memory pressure (firefox starts thrashing the swapfile hard and the system goes unresponsive for a minute) that the displaylink tends to freeze.

The displaylink screen will freeze with whatever screen contents it had, and the other screens will continue working just fine once the system becomes responsive again.

My system doesn't crash, but my displaylink screen will just sit there all frozen...
PT_Barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
natecovington

Just jumping in to say "me too" with Ubuntu 22.04.1 on my Dell XPS with DisplayStation, 2 screens...

Seems whenever I use Firefox to download a file more than maybe 300mb, the external screens freeze and I normally have to reboot.
natecovington is offline   Reply With Quote