Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 05-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
kingchappers

Post Ubuntu 20.04 Boot Fail after DisplayLink Driver Installed HP Spectre

I had been running Xubuntu on version 18.04 on my HP Spectre 15. I was using a USB-C dock to connect the laptop to my other monitors with the DisplayLink driver installed. This was working fine.

I then encountered a number of issues where it would freeze up entirely at the login screen, I couldn't even get to a different tty.

I then decided to remove Xubuntu and install Ubuntu 20.04. The install went fine without a problem, the system had a boot issue which was resolved by adding
Code:
nomodeset
to grub. Then, I went to install the DisplayLink driver for my dock, following these instructions: https://support.displaylink.com/know...rticles/684649.

This seemed to work fine, no error messages that I could see, until I rebooted my laptop and was give a '
Code:
ppm init failed
' on booting. It won't go any further than that, I can switch tty and do a
Code:
sudo displaylink-installer uninstall
to remove the driver and the laptop works fine, but obviously unable to use the dock and therefore my other monitors.

I'm at a bit of a loss; I've tried both proprietary and non-proprietary Nvidia drivers, I did this manually first then by reinstalling Ubuntu in case I did something wrong but that hasn't fixed the problem. Could this have something to do with the
Code:
nomodeset
option? I can't think of what else to do so any help would be appreciated.
kingchappers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, install, ubuntu 20.04