Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 07-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #91
McGregor80

Unhappy Cursor jumping and pixeling,

I just installed the USB to HDMI extension to may Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Installed displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run. It's a thinkPad laptop with closed screen which is connected through docking station to one DisplayPort screen and one VGA screen.

The USB screen is displaying correctly.
The issue i have is that as soon as i use mouse the cursor starts to jump around and sometimes pixeling. I can't perform basic operations like grab and drag as the cursor location changes. When not using mouse it seems to be stable.

Changing the refresh rate for the USB to HDMI screen from 60 to 50Hz decreased the scale of the issue a little bit, but the problem persists.
Tried to move the mouse to another USB port and even change the mouse

Is there any solution for that ?
McGregor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #92
jigglywiggly

I am using Ubuntu 20.04, Wayland, an rx5700
5.3.1 is the displaylink version

Installation was a breeze, however performance is very bad. I am on a dl 6950
On Windows performance is great, here however it's not usable.

I am using Wayland.
Monitor setup:
Left: 1080p Potrait
Center: 1440p 144hz (On primary gpu)
Right: 4k 60hz

This is a desktop system, I can plug all the displays into the rx5700 and it works fine, but I am testing this device.

There is extreme lag moving the mouse/dragging windows.

Last edited by jigglywiggly; 07-08-2020 at 07:13 AM.
jigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #93
mrderooij

Default please cgeck https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67148

@jigglywiggly

Having problems? Please check https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148

It is working fine so far.
mrderooij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:01 PM   #94
jigglywiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderooij View Post
@jigglywiggly

Having problems? Please check https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148

It is working fine so far.
Hmm, it says that is not for amd only machines which mine is, I will try it anyway though.
EDIT: Went ahead and tried it, rebooted it and it didn't do anything.

Last edited by jigglywiggly; 07-13-2020 at 11:14 PM.
jigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #95
fitter

Unfortunately this performance issue also affects my AMD-only laptop running Ubuntu 20.04 and my new docking station.
Is there any ETA for possible fix?
fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #96
emericv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter View Post
Unfortunately this performance issue also affects my AMD-only laptop running Ubuntu 20.04 and my new docking station.
Is there any ETA for possible fix?
I have same issue on a laptop with AMD GPU : the second screen (using DisplayLink) is detected but the display is very jerky
emericv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #97
mugiwara

Quote:
Originally Posted by emericv View Post
I have same issue on a laptop with AMD GPU : the second screen (using DisplayLink) is detected but the display is very jerky
Having the same exact issue with AMDGPU + DisplayLink as well.

My workaround has been to stay with Ubuntu 18.04 using the DisplayLink 5.3.1 driver for Ubuntu for the time being alongside the AMDGPU-PRO driver as that seems to be the only working configuration for me, but it's not ideal, especially considering I'm having to use the AMDGPU-PRO driver which has had compatibility issues with running software that works fine using the AMDGPU open-source driver. The lack of proper support for AMDGPU is what's keeping me from upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and it seems like this issue has been brought up my numerous people for a few months now with no real answers or estimations on progress.

I would definitely advise DisplayLink to make their drivers fully open source, as many others have suggested over the past several years. That way, you know, us pesky Linux users wouldn't have to be so much of a bother. I think it'd be to their benefit anyway, it's not like open source contributors would be seeing any of the profits DisplayLink makes and if anything it'll help to get their software available on more platforms which ultimately results in greater revenue for them.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #98
fitter

I just realized that all displaylink developer replies were about "1FPS problem" when laptop screen is off. I failed to find any mention of screen lag for external monitors problem. Which is a little bit worrying me. Nevertheless we have vacations season rn, lets hope this topic will be addressed soon.

I could even live some time with lagging external screen, I can just display there some static things and mainly work on my laptop screen. But this problem also affects my laptop's audio, which gets some hiccups. I cant accept it unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
My workaround has been to stay with Ubuntu 18.04 using the DisplayLink 5.3.1 driver for
Be careful with updates, looks like new kernel for 18.04 also breaks DisplayLink
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67228
fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #99
mugiwara

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter;90477
Be careful with updates, looks like new kernel for 18.04 also breaks DisplayLink
[url
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67228[/url]
Yeah, I'm aware. The latest 18.04 kernel using the latest DisplayLink driver for 18.04 did indeed break DisplayLink with AMDGPU, which is the main reason I'm using the 5.3.1 DisplayLink driver as it's an older version that seems to be working fine with the latest kernel alongside AMDGPU-PRO.

Without these workarounds, my external monitor exhibits high latency and really bad screen tearing. The monitor behaves fine with AMDGPU-PRO, so I doubt the fix is impossible. Hopefully some sort of update is given soon considering it seems to be affecting AMDGPU users as a whole and is likely keeping some, like myself, from updating to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #100
mrderooij

Default When is the new fix comming

Hello,

The fix worked fine, but is now running behind a few security updates. can you please append the fix to the latest version?

Mark
mrderooij is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ubuntu 20