Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2024, 07:47 PM   #1
Levity

Unhappy M2 MacBook Air + Dell WD22TB4 + 2 screens: incompatibility or doing something wrong?

I didn't purchase any of this hardware for this setup, I'm just working with what I have, so I know they're not well optimized for each other! Trying to figure out if I'm missing something or if these pieces just won't work together. Trying to use DisplayLink to get around the M2 one screen limitations.

PC: 2022 M2 MacBook Air
Dock: Dell WD22TB4
Monitor 1: 4K (60hz) LG 27UD68 - 16:9
Monitor 2: Samsung Odyssey G9 (older one, NOT the OLED), resolution is 5120 x 1440
Important note with that monitor is that the visual resolution is essentially a 2k/UHD display (not 4K) however given the number of pixels it's like 4K in terms of load.

Display Link is version 1.10.2. Screen sharing permission is ON (I've toggled it 20 times to confirm). Device is also allowed.

Each screen works independently with the mac, both plugged in directly or when plugged into the dock (so I know the doc is able to transmit at least one monitor). G9 doesn't like HDMI though, LG is fine with it. I have a DisplayPort to USB-C (and regular DP to DP) cable for the G9, and for the LG I have HDMI or DP cables, and also the Apple media adapter that plugs HDMI into USB-C (so it works in the thunderbolt ports or can HDMI directly in). Cables are all rated for 4k or 8k 60hz.

I've tried EVERY plug in combo listed on this page: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...-hosts?lang=en but only ever get one display working at a time.

Notably I'm never seeing the purple Screen Sharing Picker show up, and neither monitor (whichever one it's actually display on) shows up in the DisplayLink manager menu either. -- The phrasing of the page makes it seem like it should be there even if only one monitor is connected?

So did I botch something in the software setup? Or is it:
1) The G9 is too annoying/weird to work in this setup
2) The dell dock is just not compatible for this combo
3) The monitors are too old to work with Display Link

The dell site took me directly to DisplayLink's for the download, but maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited by Levity; 06-21-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:56 AM   #2
dbienkowski
DisplayLink Team

Hi Levity,
Thanks for getting in touch with us. Regarding your problem, unfortunately I have to inform you that the Dell WD22TB4 docking station is not equipped with DisplayLink technology, but it is an alternative solution based on alt-mode via Thunderbolt 4, and in this case you will not get around the limit of supporting only one external monitor by the Apple M2 chip.
dbienkowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 monitors, dell docking station, macbook air m2 (2022)