Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 06-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Gsud987

Arrow 5k2k screen on HD620 GPU (can DisplayLink help) ?

Hello,

My Work laptop is a HP x360 830 G6 with a intégrated Intel HD620 GPU.
The specifications tell me it can't output a greater resolution than 4K.
I also have a HP USB-C Universal Dock which can output 5120 × 2880 apparently.

I'm looking to buy a new screen from DELL.
Either the U4021QW (5 120 x 2160) or the U4919DW (5 120 x 1 440).

Question : Could i use the HP dock with the DisplayLink technologie to bybass the limitation of the intel GPU and use the full native resolution on this screens at 60 hz ?

I'm sorry if my question is kind of dumb. I think it's ok but i'm not familiar with displaylink and i don't want to spend so much money on a non working setup.

Thank you for your help
Gsud987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsud987 View Post
Hello,

My Work laptop is a HP x360 830 G6 with a intégrated Intel HD620 GPU.
The specifications tell me it can't output a greater resolution than 4K.
I also have a HP USB-C Universal Dock which can output 5120 × 2880 apparently.

I'm looking to buy a new screen from DELL.
Either the U4021QW (5 120 x 2160) or the U4919DW (5 120 x 1 440).

Question : Could i use the HP dock with the DisplayLink technologie to bybass the limitation of the intel GPU and use the full native resolution on this screens at 60 hz ?

I'm sorry if my question is kind of dumb. I think it's ok but i'm not familiar with displaylink and i don't want to spend so much money on a non working setup.

Thank you for your help

Can you please provide a direct web link to the HP Universal Docking Station you are using, or provide the specific product number? For example --> Product #- 5TW13UT#ABA

I ask because I would like to review the unit's specifications online before offering my opinion.

My impression is that you are referring to this product --> https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp...versal-dock-g2 however I do not want to make any incorrect assumptions.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Yes, but the dock also has its specifications.

Due to the video link speed, that dock supports 5K (=5120x2880) using 2 DisplayPort cables for 1 display, and on Windows only. This requires a monitor conceived as tiled mode (=2 panels next to each other without a bezel). I don't believe that new display is tiled so it would not work.

On the other hand, 5K Super Ultrawide (=5120x1440) can fit in that link speed. So you can use 2 of them on the dock, and each with a single DisplayPort cable.

I personally would prefer the Super Ultrawide choice, as the aspect ratio sounds better for productivity.

Regards, Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
Gsud987

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
Can you please provide a direct web link to the HP Universal Docking Station you are using, or provide the specific product number? For example --> Product #- 5TW13UT#ABA

I ask because I would like to review the unit's specifications online before offering my opinion.

My impression is that you are referring to this product --> https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp...versal-dock-g2 however I do not want to make any incorrect assumptions.
I can't find it on the HP Website. It must be an old version.
I have this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

Due to the video link speed, that dock supports 5K (=5120x2880) using 2 DisplayPort cables for 1 display, and on Windows only. This requires a monitor conceived as tiled mode (=2 panels next to each other without a bezel). I don't believe that new display is tiled so it would not work.

On the other hand, 5K Super Ultrawide (=5120x1440) can fit in that link speed. So you can use 2 of them on the dock, and each with a single DisplayPort cable.

I personally would prefer the Super Ultrawide choice, as the aspect ratio sounds better for productivity.

Regards, Alban
Thank you. It's clearer for me now.
I was looking for the 40 inch in part because of the higher définition (dpi) for photography works.
Gsud987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
clifflinmao

Thank you for the anwser, I have a LG 34WK95U (5120x2880) and a Macbook Pro with M1 chip, can I confirm that even with two DP cables for 1 display, it works only for Windows, not Mac?? If not, is that going to be supported on Mac later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

Regards, Alban
clifflinmao is offline   Reply With Quote