Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 AM   #1
KsaRedFx

Default 8.1 Refresh Rate with DWM above 10%

I'm also experiencing the same issues as jfcabana above.

Pretty much unable to do any form of graphic intensive things at all.
Anything beyond ~5fps worth of updates and anything on the monitors connected to my DisplayLink lag horribly.

Extremely noticeable mouse latency, screen tearing, entire UI is sluggish.
Applications themselves report a high FPS, but the monitors do not update that quickly.

High CPU usage from the DisplayLink drivers.

Occasionally everything will crash, and the monitors will flicker black and deregister with Windows for a moment before coming back (and sometimes flickering a few more times)

Used to play games like StarCraft and Borderlands and now unable to watch YouTube without lagging.
KsaRedFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for your patience. Holidays and CES has been distracting me.

I've spawned a new thread to make its title relevant.

DWM is a Windows component. This is not part of DisplayLink driver.
This is the component responsible for composing windows making the desktop and it sends its work to the primary graphics card (GPU) to compute as adapters are not GPUs.

I'm surprised this is very high like this and I don't believe this is the same thing as before.
In order to analyse this, would you please use our Customer Support Tool and post the resulting zip file? Please connect the logs when the issue is present so I have more chances of having it captured.
Also, please indicate what software is running and what displays are supposed to show (static, video, web...) so I can put the information in context.

As this is an attachment, your reply will be moderated. Posts with links and attachments are moderated to filter out all the spam people think they will get away with.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
KsaRedFx

Default Debug Info

I also posted more information here;
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65041

Some of processes from before are actually using up more CPU than I previously posted

I've done some more digging and found out that DisplayLink is causing my iGPU to max out.

The steep cliff you see there is a simple game being dragged from a DisplayLink'd monitor to a hard wired monitor. Despite the game still running, the GPU's load drops steeply.
I can actually make the GPUs load go up to 40% just by moving my mouse left and right on a DisplayLink'd monitor with only static content on every screen.
I'm starting to believe the frame drops are from DisplayLink simply 100%'ing the GPU and it being unable to keep up.

In the logs you should see 4 monitors;
#4 is DisplayLink, running H1Z1 in Full Screen
#3 is DisplayLink, running Chrome (With this page open)
#2 is Hard Wired, running Task Manager and the support tool.
#1 is Hard Wired, and blank.

It is extremely easy to reproduce every single effect I have
Mouse lag, dropped frames, entire OS slowdown, and CPU spin up.

All I have to do is start playing video or a game on that monitor.
If you'd like I can repeat this process and gather logs for just YouTube or Netflix.

Extra information; This system has 2 GPUs,
an iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 530) and a Nvidia GeForce 980M.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RUBYROSE_20170114_045130.zip (1.77 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by KsaRedFx; 01-14-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old 01-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Today on Windows 10 Anniversary Update, DisplayLink driver cannot talk to the graphics card and is unable to give it any job to do.
DWM sends the compute job to do to the GPU, which is then handed over to the Microsoft graphics kernel mode driver... which then hands over already computed pixels to DisplayLink driver.

Still, I will give this very valuable data to the engineering team currently investigating performance as I think it will be extremely useful!

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
KsaRedFx

Default Side note

A little extra info on it;

Disabling my iGPU allows me to completely kill all latency caused by DisplayLink.

Thus, relying on my GeForce 980M instead of my Intel HD 530.

It still uses a lot of CPU power, and it consumes 10% of the GPU
But everything works fine.

Maybe look into a settings window where a user could pick what GPU it runs on? I'm not that farmilar with what access the new driver system has for you guys.

Another notable issue;

When the main monitor is set to DisplayLink in a system with more than one GPU and relies on Nvidia Optimus, DisplayLink actually somehow manages to completely disable Optimus. This means even if things are set to dGPU, they run on whatever WDFHost is on.

Setting my main monitor to hard wired fixed the issue entirely.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Thank you, very useful information as well.
I added a link to this thread in our internal tracking system.

We have asked for next versions of Windows 10 that the GPU being used is the beefiest, not the first. Today, Windows uses the graphics card used at POST (boot). It tends to be the low end one. The choice of graphics card used is down to the graphics kernel mode driver... which we don't have anymore as we have native support.
What is possible as well, but I cannot say for sure, is that the issue with OpenGL support on the Intel graphics for Windows 10 Anniversary Update new graphics subsystem means that the GPU has much more work to do. I do not know.
1080p monitors can be handled by the Intel graphics card. I mean we can drive much more from a laptop as you can see attached.

The CPU in use is under analysis at the moment. We think a few changes in memory management will help... among other changes.
If you are using Optimus on the Windows 10 builds above 10586, then you would be meeting the same issue as your discrete graphics where the Windows kernel mode driver comes first. Optimus is unfortunately an extremely complex stack. It depends on the priority of the adapters. In our old driver architecture, Optimus made all our engineers pull their hairs out. Could it be possible that the nVidia driver you are using are not recent enough to implement the new graphics architecture of the OS?

Kind regards,
Alban
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6x4Kp60_CES2017.jpg (15.7 KB, 1 views)

Old 01-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
KsaRedFx

Well, I know my GPU can handle quite a bit as before Win10 Anniversary update I was able to do everything with 2 1080p monitors linked via DisplayLink without noticing an issue or high GPU usage.

The current drivers are still using a lot of the Nvidia GPU when they're forced to. So I don't think it's an Open GL with the Intel graphics. 10% on a 980M is a fair amount of power in comparison to a HD 530.

It quite literally just appears to be issues with the new "Native Integration" for now. I guess new things means new bugs.

I'm also definitely using the latest drivers available from Nvidia, I keep it relatively up to date and double checked all drivers an reinstalled them all clean during my debugging. You should be able to see it's up to date in the zip file I provided.

But yes, Optimus does work fine once the "Main Monitor" in Display Settings is hard wired instead of DisplayLink. Regardless of what monitor the program is running on (Except in the case of certain DX12 games that will swap on the fly depending on what monitor they're on.)

Before, I was unable to run a game on a hard wired monitor and tell Optimus to run it on the 980M, it just would not listen.