Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

View Poll Results: Has DisplayLink worked via a USB Dock for you, without problems?
Less than ~25% of the time, I can get it to work via a USB Dock, to external monitors. 1 100.00%
More than ~25%, but less than 50% of the time, it works via a USB dock. 0 0%
More than ~50%, but less than 75% of the time, it works via a USB dock. 0 0%
More than ~75% of the time, it works perfectly outputing to monitors, via an USB Dock. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
PaulJRichardson

Unhappy Lenovo(X1 Carbon) USB 3.0 Dock // Blank (Black) Screen & Severe Flickering

Greetings,

I have many large and complicated software installation packages on a laptop, which stubbornly refuses to work with the DisplayLink software. I am hoping that I can selectively identify a conflicting driver (or other easy solution), rather than reinstall the OS and start over.

Thus, I have uninstalled/reinstalled DisplayLink, my Graphics and other Drivers several times with no success. I am running Win7EntSP1x64 on a Lenovo X1 Carbon (Model: 3443CTO), attempting to output to 2 displays only (mirror to #2, laptop off, extend to #3), both at 1600px X 900px (both externals are model: Dell P2210H LCD Monitors, the laptop monitor is a ThinkPad MaxBright, running off an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000).

It is perhaps noteworthy that all flickering stopped and I could get #1 -(mirror)-> #2, and #1 --(extend)--> #3 just fine if I reduced resolution on the laptop (#1) and both external monitors (#2 & #3) all the way down to 800px X 600px [which of course is worthless for on-going work].

I also find it noteworthy that this dock sells for $179.99 but has a resell value of $29.00 in "new" condition (it does not have good reviews).

The USB 3.0 Dock I'm attempting to output to is:

USB 3.0 Dock (Lenovo Branded)
Serial S/N: K1249015265
Model No.: DU9019D1
ASM PN: 0A3434193
FRU PN: 03X6059
Part Number: 0A33970

ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock - Publications and SOFTWARE/DRIVER DOWNLOADS

Here is the version info on my currently installed drivers:
================================================== ====
CURRENTLY INSTALLED SOFTWARE & DRIVER VERSIONS:

DisplayLink Core Software 7.3.49122.0
DisplayLink Graphics 7.3.49122.0

Graphics Driver Detected: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo Customized Driver)
Graphics Driver Version Installed: 9.17.10.2843 (Lenovo Customized Driver)

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Current Version Installed: 9.3.0.1021

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel
Installed ver 1.0.8.251

In case anyone examining my submitted information here, wishes to verify that I am running the correct software versions for this model laptop, here are the URLs to the relevant software versions and drivers:

THINKPAD USB 3.0 DOCK DRIVER
File: thinkpad_usb3_dock_v10708.exe
File version: 7.2.47873.0
Product version: 7.2.10708
CRC-32: 8cc3c049
MD4: 91411c103c6612818c15afc25333715d
MD5: b309fe1dbc0dbec223e29208f571ed98
SHA-1: 9b539c0ce310dfe499684a2848906812f1ff9bfa

USB 3.0 DOCK FIRMWARE
ver.9.20.00(7-23-2013) --->> MORE RECENT // LARGER FILE
1.16 MB (1,216,668 bytes)
Date Last Modified: 7-23-2013 6:25pm
ver.9.20.00
File: lenovodocking_firmware_updatetool.exe
CRC-32: a913c476
MD4: 45f13064ac8a436520dbd7a88b813510
MD5: 72e2e577a0bb3ec3e0494c3fbb207500
SHA-1: e9236e6eaf2c7c1e7a1448bcd4b24abdbb8a1084

NOTE: In addition to the above firmware update binary, there is another download available from Lenovo for this same file. However, the other file is smaller in size, has different hash values, and an older date last modified (in file properties), even though the displayed file version on the download page, and in the file properties, is the same exact number (aka, 9.20.00).

USB 3.0 Driver: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=21129
File name: Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver .zip
Version: 1.0.8.251
Date: 03/30/2013 Size: 5.21 MB
================================================== =====
VIDEO GRAPHICS DISPLAY DRIVERS

ThinkPad (OEM) Monitor INF File for Windows 7 (32-bit,64-bit)
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS015012
FILENAME 79oi30ww.exe SIZE 305 KB
VERSION 4.38 RELEASED 19 Apr 2013

Lenovo (OEM) Video Driver
Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7 (64-bit) - ThinkPad
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS029033
filename: g1d625ww.exe size: 108.8 MB
version 9.17.10.2843 released 07 Dec 2012

INTEL WIRELESS DRIVERS

Intel Chipset, WIFI, & Graphics Driver Detection:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

Lenovo (OEM) Driver for Intel Wireless NIC
Intel Wireless LAN (bg, abg, abgn) for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), XP - ThinkPad
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS015011
FileName: g1w218ww_s64.exe Size: 89.7 MB
version: 15.6.1/15.03.2000 released 10 Jul 2013

Lenovo (OEM) Intel Wireless Display (aka, WiDi, see below)
Prerequisite (BEFORE installation - see page)
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS014970
FileName: g1w613ww.exe Size: 221.2 MB
version: 3.5.40.0 released 26 Mar 2013

Intel PROSet/Wireless w/bundled WiDi DOWNLOAD
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=22784
OEM-supplied versus Intel-provided generic software (QUOTE from above URL):
"Intel recommends that you obtain and use the software provided via your laptop manufacturer."

I followed the troubleshooting guide and used the debug tool to gather the relevant info via the standard URLs:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

The resultant support files, along with screencapture images of my findings, and (as proof of software versions) of my software driver versions installed, as well as further hardware info and software info, are attached as a .zip file.

I would also like to know if there is a keyboard shortcut to revert any DisplayLink SW changes that cause all monitors to become blank, which makes it very difficult to test use case configs.

Any assistance you can provide will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip QUARK_20130813_213202.zip (2.05 MB, 2 views)
PaulJRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you let me know if the flickering still occurs with Optimize for Video turned off? It's an option in the task bar GUI.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
PaulJRichardson

Post Configuration Options

Hi James,

Thank you for the assistance ;-)

I should (wish to) clarify a few additional details, for efficiency sake here, and to pre-empt delay for tasks I've already completed.

CLARIFICATION of "SEVERE" Flickering:
During all of my of tests, the external monitor(s) was/were mostly steady-off in a blank/black status (20 seconds to ~1 minute in duration) with occasional flickering back 'on' to visible video (~0.5 to 1.5 seconds duration), with 2 exceptions:
  1. When I was ONLY mirroring to one single external monitor (still flickers, but is mostly on)
  2. When all 3 (laptop, plus both external monitors) screen resolution is lowered to 800x600px.

To answer your question now; yes, I tested with that option (optimize video) on, and off, in every possible config (on for #2 only, on for #3 only, on for both #2 & #3, and off for both #2 & #3).

I also tested output at various screen resolutions to just one external monitor at a time, and to both monitors at the same time, mirrored, extended, both with the laptop monitor on and off. This of course has been a very difficult hurdle to effective troubleshooting, because in my thoroughness of testing every possible option and config., there were occasions when I set the laptop monitor to be 'off' (only outputting to external monitor(s)), and since the external screens were mostly off (on for VERY brief moments), that made it nearly impossible to revert the setting for the laptop to be back on, since the version of DisplayLink software that I am using, does not appear to have a keyboard shortcut method or timeout feature to "keep settings", with auto-revert (and I'm not going to start creating scripts and macros, just so I can troubleshoot something this expensive that should work out of the box).

Also, I should include here the fact that I have completed all my tests using 2 rather short new (condition) DVI-D 'Single-Link' cables [see image below for clarification], sending to two identical Dell P2210H LCD Monitors, and the entire time with NOTHING else plugged into the USB 3.0 Dock.

Two of my coworkers have identical laptops, and I'm waiting for them to bring their laptops to my office (and assume that they likely are known good devices), to test my dock/cables/monitors with their laptops/drivers. That may have an impact one my direction I take this next, although I cannot assign too much weight to that test, because I do not know (and cannot sequester their primary work tool for too long), whether all of their drivers/software is up to date, or whether they too might have some software that conflicts with DisplayLink and/or the Dock.

Thus I am now at a point where unless a DisplayLink software engineer or community expert here can spot a probable driver conflict in my posted debug zip files attached to my OP (because, for instance, I often install/use screen recording software that installs virtual graphics drivers), then my own best guess at next steps are:
  1. Format the HDD, reinstall the OS, DisplayLink, and attempt to get the Dock working with NOTHING else installed on the computer.
  2. Return the Dock to Lenovo for a replacement
  3. Buy an expensive but alternative KVM/Dock that actually works.

Thank you again James. It is very kind of you to volunteer your insights and expertise, and I appreciate it.

Respectfully,
Paul

Last edited by PaulJRichardson; 08-14-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: elaboration of cable types
PaulJRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

It's definitely worth trying without the video capture drivers installed as I've seen similar drivers cause what you are seeing.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Wick

Default Lenovo X1 DisplayLink Hub intermittently blanks/blacks out

Hi James,

This thread stopped almost a year ago without an apparent resolution to the problem.

I seem to have a very similar problem.

I'm running Windows 8.1 and trying to drive two external monitors through the DisplayLink hub. I'm not running any other software like video capture etc, just MSoffice and Chrome browser.

One of the monotors, a Dell 240WFP-HC will go black without warning and then return somewhere to 5 seconds to two minutes later.

The other, a SyncMaster 940N, which is VGA via a DVID/VGA converter plug on the DisplayLink, performs without a hitch.

I have all the current Win8 drivers installed for the Displaylink (4302).

Has there been a resolution for this blanking found?

Regards

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
jmcdermott

Default Still no resolution

Kicking up the dust on this.
We have the same issue here on many of the X1s with ZERO help from Lenovo other than to update to the latest driver.

Anyone have anything on this?
jmcdermott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intel hd graphics, lenovo, usb 3.0 dock, windows 7 64 bit