Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 03-28-2022, 11:48 AM   #1
jotenko

Default Ubuntu 22.04 LTS coming - Driver for it?

Hello, all.

First of all, thanks for accepting me in these boards.

As we all know, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is coming next month. Will the DisplayLink driver be compatible with it? Any chance we'll have native support?

Thanks
jotenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
C.Rogers

Default Yes, the 20.04 driver is compatible with 22.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotenko View Post
As we all know, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is coming next month. Will the DisplayLink driver be compatible with it? Any chance we'll have native support?
Thanks
I'm happy to say that having installed the 22.04 beta, done all the updates/upgrades, and followed these instructions VERY CAREFULLY, the 20.04 drivers are working well in Wayland on the brand new 22.04beta.
I was about to purchase a non-display link portable monitor, but thought I'd give this a try, as it was NOT working on my 20.04 Ubuntu setup. With this, I can finally dust off the secondary USB monitor, and take it with me. I'm super happy, and it saved me Ģ300 buying a new one.

Note that in my case, I did need to enter the password for secure boot on reboot. Make sure you understand that process clearly before installing, and ALWAYS back up your important files BEFORE installing anything that messes with the display system. You may ALSO want to install and run Timeshift to do a backup of your system state before installing so you can restore your system to an earlier snapshot if something goes wrong.

I'm not an expert at all, so I can't help much if it doesn't work on your hardware. Works for me though! Thanks to DisplayLink and all developers involved in making it work for 22.04!
C.Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:04 AM   #3
jotenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Rogers View Post
I'm happy to say that having installed the 22.04 beta, done all the updates/upgrades, and followed these instructions VERY CAREFULLY, the 20.04 drivers are working well in Wayland on the brand new 22.04beta.
I was about to purchase a non-display link portable monitor, but thought I'd give this a try, as it was NOT working on my 20.04 Ubuntu setup. With this, I can finally dust off the secondary USB monitor, and take it with me. I'm super happy, and it saved me Ģ300 buying a new one.

Note that in my case, I did need to enter the password for secure boot on reboot. Make sure you understand that process clearly before installing, and ALWAYS back up your important files BEFORE installing anything that messes with the display system. You may ALSO want to install and run Timeshift to do a backup of your system state before installing so you can restore your system to an earlier snapshot if something goes wrong.

I'm not an expert at all, so I can't help much if it doesn't work on your hardware. Works for me though! Thanks to DisplayLink and all developers involved in making it work for 22.04!
Thank you. I have them working properly on 20.04. Was just wondering if they were tested for 22.04.

By the way, by "native support" I want to ask if there are any plans of integrating the evdi drivers directly with the stock Kernel instead of having to install them separately.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:38 PM   #4
ZekeMX

Quote:
Thank you. I have them working properly on 20.04. Was just wondering if they were tested for 22.04.

By the way, by "native support" I want to ask if there are any plans of integrating the evdi drivers directly with the stock Kernel instead of having to install them separately.

I think it would be great to get this drivers included in the stock kernel, this would help all of us non ubuntu users.

I have 6 lenovo branded devices and itīs a pain.

Regards
ZekeMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:55 AM   #5
nick314159

Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and my displays wouldn't start up anymore (v. 5.4.1). Downloaded and tried to install the 5.5 drivers since it adds compatibility with the 5.15 Linux kernel. Got a build error.

Turns out I needed to install the evdi-dkms package, which wasn't mentioned in the readme or the guide linked to by C.Rogers

Code:
sudo apt-get install evdi-dkms
Hope this helps!
nick314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:49 PM   #6
jotenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick314159 View Post
Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and my displays wouldn't start up anymore (v. 5.4.1). Downloaded and tried to install the 5.5 drivers since it adds compatibility with the 5.15 Linux kernel. Got a build error.

Turns out I needed to install the evdi-dkms package, which wasn't mentioned in the readme or the guide linked to by C.Rogers

Code:
sudo apt-get install evdi-dkms
Hope this helps!
That's weird. I've installed it in 22.04 and I didn't need that package. The .run script should install everything that is needed. But even so, it didn't install that package for me.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:58 AM   #7
nick314159

Quote:
That's weird. I've installed it in 22.04 and I didn't need that package. The .run script should install everything that is needed. But even so, it didn't install that package for me.
Weird! Looking at both 5.4.1 and 5.5 of the driver .run files I don't see any evidence that they install support packages but I could be wrong. My guess is that they used to include the evdi kernel module with the driver and now they don't anymore.

On your 22.04 system it's possible the evdi-dkms package got inadvertently installed somehow. Would you mind posting the output of these two commands? Might answer some questions.

Code:
dpkg -l | grep -i evdi

sudo displaylink-installer version
My output:

Code:
➜  ~ dpkg -l | grep -i evdi  
ii  evdi-dkms                                  1.9.1-1ubuntu5                          all          Extensible Virtual Display Interface driver kernel module
ii  libevdi0                                   1.9.1-1ubuntu5                          amd64        Extensible Virtual Display Interface driver client library

➜  ~ sudo displaylink-installer version
Distribution discovered: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
DisplayLink Linux Software 5.5.0-59.151
Old 05-06-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
toannhanb7

Are there any one see that the DisplayLinkManager consumes a lot of CPU after upgrading to 22.04?

Code:
 PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                                                                     
   1332 root      20   0 2062548  65284  12044 S 104,3   0,4   4:31.12 DisplayLinkMana
toannhanb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:16 AM   #9
nick314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by toannhanb7 View Post
Are there any one see that the DisplayLinkManager consumes a lot of CPU after upgrading to 22.04?

Code:
 PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                                                                     
   1332 root      20   0 2062548  65284  12044 S 104,3   0,4   4:31.12 DisplayLinkMana
No more than normal for me. It's most noticeable when I'm playing video or doing a lot of other screen updates.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:28 AM   #10
Joao Vitor

Default memory consumption is still very high

Hello memory consumption is still very high even with the May 20th version
Joao Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote