Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 11-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
AMA

Default Fedora 25 and Display Link

Hi Guys,
Before I attempt to update my Fedora 24 to the latest version, has anybody already figured if the displaylink drivers are still working after the upgrade? I barely was able to get it to run on FC 24 after the kernel 4.8 update and I need a stable platform before I try the upgrade. Especially since FC25 seems to now completely move over to Wayland window system.

Regards
Albin
AMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
MartinHerrman

Last weekend I upgraded from fedora 24 to 25. Because Fedora 25 switched to wayland the driver broke (package is still installed though). I don't want to start debugging because I have to start working :-)

However the good news is that on the login screen you have the possibility to switch from wayland to old Xorg. With old Xorg the displaylink driver works just fine.
MartinHerrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Marlin Whitaker

Please don't assume it will just work by picking a legacy desktop environment. That was not the case for me, even though the driver appears to be loaded without error. If a DisplayLink device is crucially important to you, you may want to hold off for a few days before upgrading.

EDIT: It was working for me after changing USB ports, but now it is not. It is apparently intermittent but mostly NOT working. This could be due to my external monitor, which is an ASUS MB169B+. However, I will say it has worked reliably in the past. The only thing different is the upgrade to F25.

EDIT 2: Today, on a different laptop running Fedora 25, it is working well. This is running GNOME on X11 at login. Curiously, this machine does not allow me to log in at all after selecting the default "GNOME" session (Wayland). But that is another issue. It is more important to me to have functional DisplayLink than to have Wayland.

Last edited by Marlin Whitaker; 11-30-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Marlin Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:38 AM   #4
aiguofer

I upgraded last night and sadly, it's not working for me

It detects the monitors, and seems to load them just fine. I can even see the mouse when I move it on to those screens, and if I connect it while my lockscreen is up, I can even see the background for the lockscreen stuck on the monitors once I log in.

However, I can't see any windows, or when I go into overview I don't see any motion. It almost seems like an issue with the config on Gnome. Needless to say, this is with switching the session to Xorg.
aiguofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:52 AM   #5
aiguofer

Btw, I'm seeing the following in my journalctl:

evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Old 11-30-2016, 02:37 AM   #6
Marlin Whitaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiguofer View Post
Btw, I'm seeing the following in my journalctl:

evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock

I do see that same message in my log, but my display is working.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:42 AM   #7
Marlin Whitaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiguofer View Post
I upgraded last night and sadly, it's not working for me

It detects the monitors, and seems to load them just fine. I can even see the mouse when I move it on to those screens, and if I connect it while my lockscreen is up, I can even see the background for the lockscreen stuck on the monitors once I log in.

However, I can't see any windows, or when I go into overview I don't see any motion. It almost seems like an issue with the config on Gnome. Needless to say, this is with switching the session to Xorg.
I did have that same behavior earlier, but it went away after a couple of restarts and restarting the displaylink service. I hope you will be as lucky.

I wish I had something more useful to say, but I really didn't do anything in particular to fix it. It just started working.

What driver are you using, and where did you get it?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
aiguofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Whitaker View Post
I did have that same behavior earlier, but it went away after a couple of restarts and restarting the displaylink service. I hope you will be as lucky.

I wish I had something more useful to say, but I really didn't do anything in particular to fix it. It just started working.

What driver are you using, and where did you get it?
I'm using the latest version (1.2.64) from https://github.com/displaylink-rpm/displaylink-rpm

I've tried restarting, reinstalling the driver, and restarting the service in various combinations to no avail... still same exact problem. Even updated kernel today and that didn't help either.

I also tried disabling all Gnome shell extensions in case that had something to do with it, but nothing
Old 11-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
mlukaszek

The cursor lock/unlock messages are unnecessarily logged on debug level, and will be moved to verbose. Meanwhile, you can reduce the default log level for evdi...

http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...ticles/1107401

Regards,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #10
aiguofer

Ahh nice. Out of curiosity I enabled level 6 logging and did not see anything strange (not that I know what most of those things mean though).

What's really strange is that the mouse moves perfectly in my screens, and now I've also see what's on my laptop screen stuck on the external monitors occasionally.