Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
remyvrs

Default Your device does not support DP Alt mode

Hi,

I receive the following message when I connect my monitor.

"Your device does not support DP Alt mode, please install the latest driver and try again."

My OS is Kubuntu 18.04 , kernel 5.0 (but first I tried with 4.15 had the same result, upgraded kernel and then uninstall and installed the DisplayLink driver)

I will attach the zip exported by the DLSupportTool in the hope that someone can help me with this !

Thank you in advance !

Later update : I've tested the configuration (same laptop & monitor) with windows 10 and it works OK after installing DisplayLink Driver.
I can only conclude that it is a problem of the linux driver implementation...
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2019-10-05T12:33:11.845393.zip (153.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by remyvrs; 10-10-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: updates about testing inside another OS
remyvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Wim

Hi

I think the product you have is the ASUS MB16AC monitor. It looks like the monitor is trying to use Alt mode from your PC, rather than switching to USB to enable DisplayLink to work. As you don't seem to have alt mode, you get the error message.

I'm not sure how this monitor switches between alt mode and USB to decide on the type of connection to use, as this is done outside of DisplayLink. You could force this to use USB by connecting it to a USB A port or through a USB C to A adapter, eg something like this:

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
remyvrs

Default My adapter works on Win but not on Linux

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I already have an adapter and I think it is similar with the one you mentioned (or at least I think so). It came in the box along with the monitor. I am attaching pictures with it...

The point is that my adapter works with DisplayLink software on Windows and it does not work on Linux. This is why I think it is the DisplayLink Linux driver's fault/problem.

I hope you will take a deeper look into

Best Regards,
Remus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191012_002322.jpg (84.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191012_002333.jpg (82.5 KB, 2 views)
remyvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
RHI

Default Many thanks

I've been struggling for more than one year with my Surface pro 5, I was unable to link my asus screen to it.

Your update with the Display link driver was the good answer!

Thanks a lot
RHI is offline   Reply With Quote