Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
DonK

Default Can I use these three monitors?

I have a Windows 10 PC, Ver10.0.18362 Build 18362. I am using one HDMI video monitor and one ASUS MB169B+ on a USB 3 port with DisplayLink software installed. Can I use a second MB169B+ monitor on a second USB 3 port?

Thanks
Don
DonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Don,
Yes you can.
Scalability is one of the main advantages of our solution.
Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
DonK

Thanks, Alban, for your replay.

One reason I asked about adding additional USB monitors is because of a couple of things I've seen elsewhere on the DisplayLink site.

One is this response to a thread on this forum about using multiple monitors:

Quote:
Yes you can either buy a dock that supports multiple monitors or buy 1x adapter for each monitor:
https://www.displaylink.com/products
James
Another thing that confuses me is this page which recommends the use of third-party sofware.

Basically, I'd just like to add a second ASUS USB 3 monitor and use the Windows duplicate (clone) mode on all three displays.

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

My colleague advised the most common use case which is connecting more monitors to a computer. There are also adapters with multiple ports active at the same time available.
The multiple mobile screen worker is not common as driving 3 times as many displays from the same laptop battery will have an obvious autonomy impact... and takes space.

To make managing multiple displays easier, or more comfortable, you might want more zones to snap application into compared to Windows default full sceen maximise only. The 3rd party software we have on our website are available for those who want additional functionality. They are not necessary to use our technology. I have 3 external displays + laptop embedded display and I have used such applications to move application to screen sub-zones when I unlock my laptop.

Windows menus easily allow to clone 2 displays. I don't know how to clone across more than 2 with that menu (I just tried, and it's 2), or via command line. This is not a common use case. There might be command lines available to force that, but when we first evaluated it, Actual Monitors allowed that and was more user friendly than running commands in the MS-DOS-like prompt.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
DonK

Hi Alban,

Battery power is not an issue for me. I am running all monitors off a mains-powered desktop PC. I use the monitors in three different locations.

The PC HDMI output feeds an A/V receiver which feeds a large-screen TV. The ASUS MB169B* is fed from one of the USB3 ports. I did try a third monitor, and 15" VGA monitor using both the PC VGA port and a VGA to USB adapter like the ones shown on your site.

Windows would recognize the three monitors, but VGA 1024 x 768 resolution didn't match the HDMI and ASUS monitors which are both 1920x1080 so I could never find a usable setup. If I add a second ASUS instead of the VGA monitor then all three monitor resolutions will match, which should help.

Whether Windows 10 can clone (duplicate) the screen content on all three monitors is unclear to me.

Don