Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
frentica

The displaylink process only shows 5-15%, however if you look at your overall CPU usage while resizing a window you can see it jump significantly which doesn't happen when it isn't docked. I've installed all of the latest drivers/firmware. I even went as far as using some little "hack" I found on a forum to get the Intel USB 3.0 drivers installed on my Lenovo with Windows 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbelcher View Post
I'm not seeing this issue since installing the USB3 drivers. I get about 4-6% CPU usage from the DisplayLink processes during normal use and it does peak around 10% as you say when moving windows around - but nothing as high as you mentioned.

Currently configured:
Latest Intel USB3 eXtensible Host Controller drivers https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...usb+3.0+driver

Latest Lenovo Dock firmware http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...updatetool.exe

Latest DisplayLink Drivers http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=93

There is some info on Intel's website about forcing USB 3 support in the BIOS if you have problems with devices running at USB 2.0 speeds. The Lenovo has an option for USB 3 in the bios which is "Auto, Enabled, Disabled" and 'Auto' is default. You could try setting it to Enable which forces USB 3.0 mode.
frentica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
wolfindersteppe

Default Having the same issue

Using Helix i7 with Windows 8 Pro and two Samsungs S27C450 monitors. The ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock makes the whole system unusable - the same symptoms, mouse lag, temp 68°C and higher, DisplayLink CPU usage betwen 1% and 25%. The workaround for Windows 7 does not feet. It seems that the ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock is unusable with Windows 8
wolfindersteppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
wonderose

Default Stubborn cursor when lid closed

My setup: Lenovo Helix, Windows 8, a Toshiba Dynadock USB 3.0 and one external monitor (Acer S243HL).

Every time I close the lid of my laptop, the external display shows my cursor stuck at the very same position on the screen, with a context menu about to be open (in form of a quadrangle) or already open (with all the menu points I don’t want to choose from).

To free my stubborn cursor, which won’t move from the center right of my Acer monitor, I reopen the lid, and indeed, it is gone quite easily. But if I shut the lid again, it reappears on the dot. It’s a nice game to play, and in the end, after a few moments of despair, I always win, having reconquered my cursor and made the quadrangle (or the context menu) disappear.

Yet, in the course of time, my despair grew ever deeper, and on expert counsel, I replaced the Dynadock (and DisplayLink’s software) with a standard HDMI cable. My problems are now gone. No quadrangle, no unwanted context menu. And I am relieved.

But if this problem is going to be fixed sometime in the future, I will certainly be glad to reinstall DisplayLink.

PS: I forgot to add that without DisplayLink manager the CPU usage is down by 5 to 20 % (depending on monitor activity), which in turn has a positive effect on the fan noise.

PPS: Before giving up on DisplayLink and reverting to a simple HDMI cable, I had installed the very newest version of the software (7.4.51587.0 and 7.2.8000.17).
wonderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
JamesH

Hi folks,

I'll try and reproduce this internally.

Some questions:
@wonderose - what is the system set to do when you close the laptop lid?
What software does v7.2.8000.17 refer to?
Is your mouse wired or wireless?
What kind activity produces the most CPU usage?

@wolfindersteppe
Is your mouse wired or wireless?
What kind activity produces the most CPU usage?

In the meantime can you upgrade to R7.4M2 and post the logs from the support tool to help me investigate this? The tool can be found here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
wonderose

I hope this answers your questions.
But I have to say that, as I now use a simple HDMI cable, I really did uninstall the DisplayLink software.

1)
As far as Windows energy options are concerned, the system is set to do nothing. But closing the lid does turn on the external monitor, while at the same time turning off the screen of my Helix (as well as its touch function).

2)
DisplayLink Graphics 7.4.51587.0 (not the version I mistakenly mentioned in my previous post)
DisplayLink Core Software 7.4.51572.0

3)
My mouse is wired. Bluetooth is disabled.

4)
Continuous cursor movement slowly increases CPU usage (up to 15% and more), not to mention flash videos in Firefox (up to 25%), all this with the corresponding surges in fan movement.
wonderose is offline   Reply With Quote