Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 05-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #71
shellfyred

Confirming there is still an issue with the latest package for Ubuntu 20.04. I recently upgraded 20.04 and installed the latest DL package, displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34. Now if I close the lid, the UI lags 3-5 seconds on input (e.g. button click does nothing for 5 seconds). Opening the lid and the issue immediately goes away. Nothing from htop seems to indicate this is in anyway tied to CPU/memory load.
shellfyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #72
Tiberius

Unhappy

tonight i tried on other laptop ubuntu 20.04. same problems lags badly on external monitor (intel graphics).
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #73
snipe122

Confirming happening for me as well. Maybe after latest kernel upgrade? Was working fine for me before. Have to keep the lid open now
snipe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #74
michal.postrozny

Default Mouse clicks and keyboard lags 2-4 seconds behind

Interestingly the mouse movement does not lag. Just the click and keyboard. This happens even though mouse/keyboard is not connected to the dock. Dual monitor setup. Does not matter if lid is open or close.

I would be happy tho share the logs gathered with displaylink tool on priv to DisplayLink support. I'm not comfortable to share anything gathered using 'sudo' on public forum.
michal.postrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:19 AM   #75
rjbathgate

Confirming same issue here.

Running Ubuntu 20.04, with a StarTech DK30C2DPPD dock (DisplayLink chipset: DL6950) and ThinkPad E590 and DisplayLink drivers 5.3.1.

When connecting via the dock to an ultrawide monitor (LG 38 inch), with native resolution of 3840x1600, it is extremely laggy - every mouse click action takes 3-5 seconds - it completely unusable.

If I switch back to just use Laptop display (dock still connected, but monitor setting set to laptop screen only), everything works perfectly fine.

CPU load seems a bit high, but not massively high.

When on Ubuntu 19 and using the previous driver, I had exactly the same issue plus CPU was even higher (htop was maxing all threads at 100%).

I have set the logging to 1 (as per https://support.displaylink.com/know...-of-messages-t) but made no difference.

Have also amended the 20-displaylink.conf as per a lot of other threads, again with no difference.

On a smaller monitor (34 inch with native resolution of 3440x1440), it performs better but still unusable.

Keen to see if DisplayLink update the driver soon.

UPDATE

With EVDI logging set to 0, DRM logging set to 0, pageflip modsetting applied (https://support.displaylink.com/know...ent-x-upgrades) AND (important AND), the external monitor set to extend mode, the lag is significantly reduced - almost usable!

If I change the display settings to external screen only (i.e. single display, laptop display off), then the massive lag instantly returns.

So, the primary (laptop) screen needs to be on and active for the lag on the external monitor to be 'acceptable'. This seems like a really strange bug.

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by rjbathgate; 05-12-2020 at 05:15 AM.
rjbathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #76
Stofe7

@rjbathgate, can you compare with "mirror" settings please? I curious about your case.
In my case if I choose mirror, then it will be a kind of usable scenario, but of course I lost the external monitor highest resolution. So the exact case is, Linux screen mode is mirror, resolution is set to the highest one of the internal screen, lid off.
Stofe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #77
rjbathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stofe7 View Post
@rjbathgate, can you compare with "mirror" settings please? I curious about your case.
In my case if I choose mirror, then it will be a kind of usable scenario, but of course I lost the external monitor highest resolution. So the exact case is, Linux screen mode is mirror, resolution is set to the highest one of the internal screen, lid off.
In mirror mode, there is near to no lag, but the resolution achieved makes it pointless (1080 on a 37inch ultrawide monitor...!)
rjbathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #78
Stofe7

Thank you, agree.
Stofe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #79
marijic.silvio

I am using Wavlink WL-UG69PD2 with Dell Latitude 5590 and LG 34U" (3440 x 1440). I faced same issue this morning after upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 and after upgrading to latest display link driver and switching from Xorg to Wayland I am able to extend screen with external display running above mentioned resolution with no noticeable lag.

Hope it helps someone.
marijic.silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #80
spences10

I've been following this thread, I used the support tool to add my zip but don't seem to be able to add files, maybe I need to build up cred on here first? Not sure.

Anyways, my issue is the same.

I have two external monitors going through a DispplayLink box, I upgraded to 20.04 and the screens lag when trying to turn off the built in monitor

My hardware is a Asus Transformer 3 Pro T303UA

Maybe if the mods approve me I can add the support zip?
spences10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ubuntu 20