Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2023, 12:57 AM   #1
ChrisCC

Default External monitors display with the built-in display off

I have an M1 MacBook Pro 13, and I connect it with two external displays through the Kensington SD4750P dock. Is it possible to have the MacBook screen turned off and only use the two external extended displays in clamshell?
If this is possible, how should I set it up?
Thanks a lot.
ChrisCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCC View Post
I have an M1 MacBook Pro 13, and I connect it with two external displays through the Kensington SD4750P dock. Is it possible to have the MacBook screen turned off and only use the two external extended displays in clamshell?
If this is possible, how should I set it up?
Thanks a lot.
Mac computers have certain requirements in order to enter what Apple calls 'closed display mode', also known as 'clamshell' mode (operating the computer with the lid closed).

An external power source must be connected to the Mac, an external display must be connected to the Mac, and an external keyboard and mouse must be connected to the Mac. Once all of those conditions are met, you should be able to close the laptop lid and the Mac will automatically disable the laptop's built-in internal display and use only the external displays.

The Kensington dock you are using provides power to the Mac and the external display component, so you would just need to connect an external mouse and keyboard to the docking station in order to be able to enter clamshell mode.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote