Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 10-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
myersrj

Default Ubuntu 20.04 Display Link with Ryzen (integrated graphics) SLOW refresh rate

Hi Jakub and DisplayLink team, I am hoping you can help provide some information.

As you are aware DisplayLink has a slow refresh rate on Ubuntu 20.04 making it unusable. You posted a link about this at https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148 quoting:

"Please note: this patch is NOT applicable to AMD-only machines, for which we are currently developing a solution. We will update you when it is available."

It has been quite some time. Can you please provide an update on progress and possible timings (months, years?)

Is there a way I can keep up to date with the progress on this without needing to post? A link to a site where I can read the progress like on https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/.../-/issues/1028.

Please let us know
myersrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
qnarkill

same problem here, issue is on the external displays. Laptops display is fine.
qnarkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
spectrum

I have same problem on Lenovo Thinkpad E495 (Ryzen 7 3700U)
spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
myersrj

Default Ubuntu 20.04 with Ryzen & integrated graphics working

Hi there

I have been able to run 20.04 without tearing by using the amdgpu-pro video drivers instead of the open source ones that come by default with Ubuntu.

Driver can be found here: "https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-20"

Just extract to a directory and run the command "sudo amdgpu-pro-install -y" and then reboot.

Only thing to be aware of is if you try and use only the external monitor with your computer screen off you will get 3 sec delay on clicks.

To make it work perfectly make sure the screen of the computer your DisplayLink is plugged into is never off.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by myersrj; 10-29-2020 at 07:53 AM.
myersrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
ozcho

Default this worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersrj View Post
Hi there

I have been able to run 20.04 without tearing by using the amdgpu-pro video drivers instead of the open source ones that come by default with Ubuntu.

Driver can be found here: "https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-20"

Just extract to a directory and run the command "sudo amdgpu-pro-install -y" and then reboot.

Only thing to be aware of is if you try and use only the external monitor with your computer screen off you will get 3 sec delay on clicks.

To make it work perfectly make sure the screen of the computer your DisplayLink is plugged into is never off.

Hope this helps.
I've tried this solution and worked perfectly.

Thank you very much man!
ozcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
fitter

Hmm, I need to also thank you @myersrj
Ubuntu 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-53, CPU Ryzen 5 3500U, wayland here. I have now connected two Full-HD screens via the docking station. Everything works flawlessly, no audio glitches and CPU usage by displaylink stays between 5-20%, which is completely acceptable.

Interesting fact is that I actually tried AMD-distributed driver few weeks ago (the same version), but it was not working properly. Recently I disabled the "legacy boot" on my machine in order to fix different problem with black screen on boot. Seems like it played some role in fixing my problem.
fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
qnarkill

Default pro drivers

amdgpu-pro driver fixed the lag issue when the laptop was open but ruined the performance. Uninstalled it and back to waiting for a fix.
qnarkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
ff801

so... things are still broken?

when can we expect a fix?

best regards
ff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
devnull10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff801 View Post
so... things are still broken?

when can we expect a fix?

best regards
Yes - I've just done a fresh install to see, and everything still the same, months on with no progress.
devnull10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
raz

I've spent some 10h last week trying to get this to work and I feels somewhat like a beaten dog.

I find it really the lack of support and lack of interest in addressing this issue from DisplayLink side quite frustrating. I bought a AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Laptop with the specific purpose of using it with DisplayLink which turned out to be a big mistake.

Anyway, googling and trying a lot of different setups i finally got it to work some what decadently. To get it to work the quest was to find a combination of the proprietary AMD kernel modules, with a DisplayLink kernel modules, with a specific kernel at version of Ubuntu to work.

Reading a lot of threads online, it seems like "well, it works on my computer" is prevalent. Anyway, this is how i solved it (which might be outdated tomorrow if, the history Ubuntu and AMD compatibility issues during the last year(s) is any indication of the future)

Code:
1. Install Ubuntu 20.04.2
2. It comes with two kernels
    linux-image-5.11.0-25-generic (default)
    linux-image-5.8.0-43-generi

While the AMD and Displaylink kernelmodules both work in 
linux-image-5.11.0-25-generic. They do, however, not work together and once a
displaylink device is connected everything freezes until it is unplugged.

So downgade the kernal to 5.8.0-43, in my case
- in /etc/default/grub change GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT="1>2" 
  (meaning select entry 1, then entry 2 in the grub boot menu, which should be 
   the next latest kernel)
- sudo update-grub
- reboot
- uname -r # to make sure you are using the 5.8.0-43 kernel

Install latest amd drivers in pro mode
- https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-21-30
- amdgpu-pro-21.30-1290604-ubuntu-20.04 
- ./amdgpu-install --pro --opencl=legacy,rocr

Install latest displaylink dirvers
- ./displaylink-driver-5.4.0-55.153.run

Reboot.
Some considerations.

For me, the steps above makes things work a lot better with displaylink, and i can run two external monitors with acceptable lag (it is not perfect)

Issues:

I am unable to start the computer with the DisplayLink dock connected, It never reaches gdm.

Monitors over displaylink is still laggy at times

The AMD driver does not seem to play nice with x server. Gnome becomes unusable, due to window tearing. (I think there might be a xorg conf fix for it, but i have not dug into it). Using wayland does however seem to work out of the box. I am using i3 with X, which seems to work for the most part. Some programs, such as gnome-terminal, is still unusable.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.
raz is offline   Reply With Quote