Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
mat21

Default Shutdown Required for Monitors to Work

I have a Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2019, Mojave version 10.14.6 with a Dell D6000 Dock and 2 Dell monitors. No matter which version of the displaylink software I have installed, the external monitors won't work unless I shut down my laptop, plug the dock in, then power it back up. If I then unplug the monitors, I have to shut down and power on with the dock connected in order to get them to work.

This used to work, but I had to factory reset the laptop for an unrelated issue, and now I can't get it working again. This is a huge pain since I usually take my laptop to several meetings throughout the day and have to shutdown and start back up every time I leave my desk.
mat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:55 AM   #2
lspintzyk

Hi,
1. Can you test yours setup with new 5.2.1 drivers?
You can download it from here:
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1478

2. Please update your dock hub using "Dell Firmware Update Utility":
https://www.dell.com/support/home/pl...-d6000/drivers

3. If hub firmware update does not help then please submit your logs using that tool:
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=66
lspintzyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
mat21

I tested with the 5.2.1 drivers, same results. It works if I start up the laptop from shut down with the dock connected, but as soon as I unplug and try to plug back in, I have to shutdown and start up again with the dock connected.

The link to the firmware update utility you posted is broken. I did some searching and couldn't find a firmware update utility that runs on OS X, so that won't work for me.

Also, I should point out that this did work at one point with a certain version of the displaylink software. I updated to Catalina and at the time the displaylink software didn't fully support Catalina, so I did a factory reset to go back to Mojave, and now can't figure out which version of DisplayLink was working.

I ran the diagnostic tool and it produced a zip file, do I just attach it to this thread?
Old 01-30-2020, 02:42 AM   #4
djjoshee

Having exactly the same issue as this. The 5.2.1 driver release notes say the "replug" issue is fixed in this version - it is clearly not.

As above this means every time I unplug and go to a meeting and then come back I have to reboot my MBP to get my screens working again. Super irritating!

Can this please be looked into.

OSX: 10.15.2
DisplayLink: 5.2.1
Dock: Targus DOCK190
djjoshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #5
mat21

I've tried at least 13 different versions of the display link software, and all do exactly the same thing which normally makes me think its an issue with OS X and not the software, but this is a fresh install of Mojave which definitely works for some people.

I submitted the logs with the tool, so hopefully they can recommend a workaround. Shame the log files are encrypted or I'd probably have been able to figure this out for myself months ago.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
mat21

Updating the firmware on my D6000 dock finally fixed this issue.