Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
RickDe

Default High CPU with 2 HDMI Monitors on Dell D3100

High CPU on Windows Driver Foundation and Windows Explorer

As a programmer myself, there seems to be some issue between the Displaylink driver and Windows Explorer. Appears to be an infinite loop.

Unplugging the HDMI of either monitor and just using 1 monitor, as soon as it is plugged back in, CPU Jumps to high CPU 50-70% with the majority of the share going to the driver and windows explorer.

With Two HDMI Monitors:
Windows Driver Foundation: 26%
Windows Explorer: 19%
Service Host State Repository Service: 4.3%
Service Host: Remote Procedure Call: 3.6%
COM Surrogate .8%

Single HDMI Monitor
Windows Driver Foundation: .6%

Using the Latest Display Driver 8.5 M1
Windows 10 Enterprise Fully updated
Dell Precision 5510
Intel HD Graphics 530 with Latest Driver
NVidia Quadro M1000M with Latest Driver

Last edited by RickDe; 06-19-2018 at 12:57 AM.
RickDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
James C
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hi RickDe,

Can you please confirm what content is displayed on the screens when using single display and dual display? And does the CPU remain at high usage or does it return to normal after?

Also follow the article on 3rd link in my signature to collect some logs so we can see if there's anything happening that shouldn't be.

Kind regards,
James C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
RickDe

I enabled Advanced logging on the tool and gathered details twice. Once with just HDMI plugged in, no Issues. Then with 2 plugged in, with issues.

I zipped and emailed you the logs.

CPU use increases Immediately as soon as the second HDMI is plugged in. For testing purposes I did not have anything running other than windows explorer so the only content being displayed is my Desktop.

Let me know if there is anything else i can do to help diagnose the issue.

Last edited by RickDe; 06-19-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
RickDe

RESOLVED mostly.

John, as we discussed in the email, I was able to resolve the issue but not entirely sure which action I did that caused it to resolve. I'm posting here to help others than may have the issue.

The issue is with Windows Explorer and the Display Link Driver. The Primary cause being something in Windows Explorer that is causing an update loop in the Display Driver.

Assuming that one has the latest DisplayLink driver installed and the latest Video card Driver installed.

Actions that had a direct impact:
1) Right click Desktop -> Left Click Personalize -> Change Slide Show to Solid Color.

This reduced the load on the driver significantly, but the primary issue with Windows Explorer eating 30-40% CPU remained. Since I have a 4 core processor that means that there are at least 2 processes hung within Windows Explorer.

Actions that resolved the issue, but i'm not sure which one:
1) Turn off All System Icons on the task bar. Right Click on the Task Bar-> Taskbar Settings -> Turn off Show Badges on Task bar Buttons -> Turn system icons on or off -> Turn off all Icons that are on. Take note of which icons you have on, you can turn these back on later.

2) Remove all Files and shortcuts off the desktop. I put mine into a folder on the desktop. Should be noted that I have Adobe Creative installed and Adobe Acrobat is notorious for bad code. I had PDF's on my desktop, so the issue should be with PDF icons being created and something with the DisplayLink driver messing this up.

For me, CPU dropped as soon as I moved my first icons off the desktop.

For Good measure:

3) Reboot. Do not load any additional programs. Wait about 1-3 minutes for Windows to complete it's boot cycle. This will depend on how many programs you have loading up. You should notice that CPU use drops below 5% as long as you are not touching anything. Mouse movement and activity in other programs will cause it to increase. If your CPU is still high, this issue is not resolved.

- - - -

For the Displaylink developers, please look at your hooks into Windows Explorer and or the taskbar. I suspect the issue is related to the taskbar repaint, system icons on the task bar repaint or with icon creation and updating on the desktop.

Since I cannot get my machine back into a condition that causes the issue to happen again, I suspect that the driver has some sort of clean up routine when settings are changed. These cleanup routines should run after a fresh driver install. I suspect that since I had previous versions installed and then I installed the latest version that there maybe something that did not cleanup or run until I adjusted settings.

Also completely possible that the issue fully exists within windows explorer, but some defensive coding should be added to the driver to stop it from getting into a loop situation when dealing with a display update.

Hopefully this helps the display link team and others having the issue. I'll report back if i see the issue come back.