Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release

Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
frankhsueh

Default 1.6 Beta 2 with New i7 MBP screen flashes/flickers

I have the new MBP with Core i7 processor running 10.6.3 with all current updates. The displaylinked display would flash/flicker when I open applications like Soundtrack Pro, Quicktime Player 7, Movist, Photoshop CS4 and BOTH the main (MBP screen) display and external displaylinked display would flash/flicker when I quit the application. Any fix?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
MCV

Default Nooooooo!!!

Damnit! I was just about to update too! I'm glad I read your post before I did. If you get the resolved, please update with the fix. Likewise, if others are running the new MacBook Pro and NOT experiencing this problem, please chime in.

Thanks again.

MCV
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
MCV

Default Seems OK

OK, so I took a chance and gave beta 2 a shot. I've been running it almost all day with no issues whatsoever. If I see anything crazy I'll report back but, fingers crossed, I think everything is fine on my end.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
frankhsueh

I couldn't find any fix to get the problem resolved. Same symptom happened on 1.5 and 1.6b1 and 1.6b2. That wasn't the case when I had my 1st generation Unibody MBP (5,1).
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

Default Debug info please

Hi Frank,

Can you please use the tool at http://www.displaylink.com/support/ask_question.php
And let us have the logs? You can attach them here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ask_question.php

Are the screens continuously flashing or they flash 'only' when the apps are started and closed? During the flashing is anything else happening (resolution change, windows moving, etc.)?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
frankhsueh

Hi Carlo,

I have attached the log. There are total of 3 of them, from 1.5, 1.6b1 and 1.6b2. I've also included a link to youtube on the symptom I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyEqq4BNJ3s

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (712.2 KB, 1540 views)
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Carlo
Mac Team

Default Switching GPU?

Thank you so much Frank,

This is a high quality bug report!

It looks like this flash happens when Mac OS is switching GPU. And it's doing so when certain applications are opened, probably because they are linking frameworks that can benefit from the faster GPU.
If this is true this issue should only be visible on the new 15" and 17" MPB.

The symptom is not too bad luckily. The only hint in your logs is a WindowServer error, which is compatible with the fact that you're not seeing any kernel panic. And that the flash is on all screens. We'll start from there. And from getting a new MBP :-)

I have to warn you that we are working on other issues and improvements so I can't commit on a date for a fix.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
frankhsueh

Hi Carlo,

I did some further testing and found your diagnosis to be correct. If I disable graphics auto switching to make it run on discrete GPU the whole time, the screens will not flash during launching/quitting applications.

Tags
core i7, flash, flicker, macbook pro