Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
zcrow

Default latest driver causes restart after sleep

I just spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Apple Tech Support this morning. Here is the issue.

After putting the computer to sleep after upgrading to Mountain Lion, the computer goes to sleep and then about 5 - 7 seconds later, restarts and says there was a problem and the computer had to restart. Allowing the computer to sleep via energy settings does not create the problem. Running the computer in Safe Mode also does not create the problem.

I have confirmed that uninstalling the latest driver fixes the issue. Reinstalling it fresh recreates the issue.

Apple Tech also confirmed that the logs I sent them have numerous errors related to the DisplayLink driver and this was the prime suspect in the issue.

Here are the logs collected by your app. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zoluv7v7g8rl9nq/v0TaiX_eeZ

I have a late 2009 iMac, 3.33GHz with an ATI Radeon HD 4670

Last edited by zcrow; 07-31-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: clarification
zcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
cwasmer

sounds like the same issue other users have:
http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1814
cwasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
zcrow

Yes. Sounds somewhat similar. In my case it is when I put the computer to sleep, it restarts after a few seconds telling me it had to restart because of a problem. The other thread seems to be after waking from sleep is causing kernel panics
zcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
fnegrin

Yes, I have the same problem. Since upgrading to mountain lion and upgrading the display link driver to the latest version I can no longer let my 15 inch macbook pro (late 2011) go into sleep mode because it simply shuts down after a while and on restart it tells me there was a problem that caused the shutdown......

When my mac is not on mains power this is a huge problem and has caused me to lose unsaved work etc.....

I also have uninstalled the driver and the problem has vanished, returning as soon as I reinstalled the driver.....

Please help!

Last edited by fnegrin; 08-02-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typos
fnegrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
senorred

Same exact thing happening here on a MBP (Late 2010). It doesn't happen every time, but I'd say at least 50% of the time after shutting the lid and letting it go to sleep the issue happens.

When I first open the lid, I get 3-5 seconds of view of my desktop before it crashes/restarts. This did not happen before I updated to Mountain Lion and the latest driver.

As a side note, this version also still seems to have the bug where my battery drains at 2x+ the normal speed when the Display Link driver is installed and resumes to normal operation if it is uninstalled. If anyone knows how to fix that I would be grateful..
senorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
Nickrouty

Default Same Here...

I have found the same problem with my Macbook Pro. "Upgraded" the driver, and my system now reboots after falling into deep sleep. Doesn't seem to be a problem on my iMac though.
Nickrouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
callumj

I am also seeing the error on my MB Pro 2011 (Core i7, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB + AMD Radeon HD 6770M).

A really easy way to reproduce the error is to try to dynamically unload the DisplayLink driver kext. (I hoped unloading the driver would make it easier to then put my machine to sleep)

Code:
sudo kextunload -b com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver
I really hope the OS X driver gets the same level of attention as the Windows driver at some point, these crashes are beyond painful.
callumj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
senorred

Default Is this affecting all ML users?

This issue is getting more frustrating.. I'm now having to restart my computer daily and have lost a few files that I forgot to save before closing the lid because the computer crashes upon waking it up.

Any idea when we will see a resolution? Is this issue affecting ALL mountain lion users, or just those of us on the Late 2010 MBP? If it helps, I installed ML just recently by using a flash drive + restoring from a Time Machine backup..
senorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Carlo
Mac Team

Looks to be linked to power management. Nickrouty what is your model of MBP?
We can't reproduce yet unfortunately. Has anyone tried the 10.8.1 preview? (If you are a developer).

It's interesting that the OS attempts to unload the kext, it's possible that something changed in the dependencies in 10.8. It should not be related to this issue but we'll check that.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Nickrouty

Default @ DisplayLink

I am on OSX version 10.8.

15", Mid 2010
2.66 GHZ Intel Core i7
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Nickrouty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mountain lion, restart, sleep