Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #31
Kushan

I would also like an update on this issue.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #32
Marcel.L.

I agree. I am experiencing - for over a year now - Problems with StarCraft II which I can only use in windowed full screen mode when the drivers are installed. I tried unplugging, deactivating the service and even the usb-entry in the registry path I deactivated. But only uninstalling helps.

Interesting thing is: When I reinstall the drivers I can still use StarCraft II in full screen mode. Only AFTER I connected one monitor I no longer can use full screen mode. It then also does not help to unplug everything and stop the displayLink service (and restart).

Anyway, since I am not playing on the attached monitors but on my primary big scree connected via HDIM I'd prefere something else than always un- and reinstalling everything. That's not what i bought this product for!

So, when can we expect a fix for this?
Marcel.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
mir77

I am dissapointed about this situation too. Found out solution using Fullscreenizer for some games (tested on Mass Effect and Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior). For the StarCraft II I have no problem. Works like charm.
mir77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #34
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir77 View Post
I am dissapointed about this situation too. Found out solution using Fullscreenizer for some games (tested on Mass Effect and Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior). For the StarCraft II I have no problem. Works like charm.
That's a really good tip! I'll try that out when I get my laptop back.

Again though, I would love an update on the issue - even if it's just to say "no fix possible", at least then we'd know.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #35
Lorodion

Angry Update?

This is an important issue and the staff must look into this!
Lorodion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #36
TallonIV123

I am also having this issue (and have had it for several months now). Would appreciate an update on whether this issue is being resolved or not.
TallonIV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #37
picafoodigs

Thumbs down

The last drivers 7.6 M0 fix one of the two main issues I've had
with the displaylink drivers on only one game. (Windowed mode only)

I have the ASUS USB 2.0 USB20_HZ1_DOCKINGSTATION running on an ASUS X73S and Nvidia GT 540M with Win7 64bit

The new drivers let the game SSF4 AE start in Windowed mode only. You cannot go into full screen as the screen will literally flicker endlessly.

Other games behave still the same "Cannot create D3D Device..."

I'd also appreciate some feedback from DisplayLink. At least tell us it will never work so we can get rid of these expensive USB hubs. I have not recommended any of Displaylink's products to costumers, colleagues and friends because of this.

Last edited by picafoodigs; 05-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.
picafoodigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #38
Fektoer

I'll add my two cents.

With the latest drivers:
Final Fantasy XIV won't work in full screen (directx error)
League of Legends won't work at all (directx error)

On top of it all, the applications that do work -all- suffer from severe fps drops at irregular intervals. The application would run fine for a while on 59-60 fps until it suddenly drops to an unplayable 6-7 fps for a few minutes after which it will go back to normal fps. Rince and repeat. This happens with windows 7, windows 8, windows 8.1. With the dock connected ánd the dock unplugged. With extended display, projected display, non projected display.

Also, even when it's working 'fine' the displaymanager service hogs up an insane amount of cpu power. On my laptop with an i7-4771 processor, 16 gig of internal memory, nvidia 7600m gfx card, simply moving my internet explorer window around will use 40-50% (!!) of cpu capacity.

I uninstalled everything that had displaylink in the name and now all my applications show a noticable fps improvement, i can play my games fullscreen on a projected display, no more fps drops and moving my windows around won't use half of my cpu.

Last edited by Fektoer; 05-15-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Fektoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #39
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fektoer View Post
I'll add my two cents.

With the latest drivers:
Final Fantasy XIV won't work in full screen (directx error)
League of Legends won't work at all (directx error)

On top of it all, the applications that do work -all- suffer from severe fps drops at irregular intervals. The application would run fine for a while on 59-60 fps until it suddenly drops to an unplayable 6-7 fps for a few minutes after which it will go back to normal fps. Rince and repeat. This happens with windows 7, windows 8, windows 8.1. With the dock connected ánd the dock unplugged. With extended display, projected display, non projected display.

Also, even when it's working 'fine' the displaymanager service hogs up an insane amount of cpu power. On my laptop with an i7-4771 processor, 16 gig of internal memory, nvidia 7500m gfx card, simply moving my internet explorer window around will use 40-50% (!!) of cpu capacity.

I uninstalled everything that had displaylink in the name and now all my applications show a noticable fps improvement, i can play my games fullscreen on a projected display, no more fps drops and moving my windows around won't use half of my cpu.
I'm not an expert, but I believe the DisplayLink software essentially works by emulating a graphics renderer entirely in software. This is why you see such a large CPU spike as it scrambles to update its virtual framebuffer.

I don't know enough to know how well this can be optimised, I'd like to think that it could be little more than a blitting operation between the actual graphics card's framebuffer and the displaylink one but that's above my level of knowledge. Ideally, they'd utilise the graphics hardware itself to do all of this and maybe they do, but there certainly seems to be room for improvement.

In any case, it seems their implimentation isn't complete and certain operations (such as fullscreen directX) cause their driver to fall over somewhat. It would be nice if they could disable the displaylink stuff when the dock is not in use, for a start.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #40
Fektoer

That would solve the problem that you "can't" use your laptop anymore even when it's not docked. When you have it docked, you still have the same problem. Yes it's would help a bit but there's a reason i need the dock (ethernet mainly).

Thanks for the reply though, the load would make more sense if that's true. Not to say i understand -why- it would have to emulate anything. It only has to pass through the signal received from the hdmi cable, done. Let my laptop handle all the graphical heavylifting.
Fektoer is offline   Reply With Quote