Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 03-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
heldmar

Default Ubuntu 17.10 - Won't work with DisplayLink UD-3900

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 900 - 13isk. It uses UEFI BIOS.

I recently tried to get on Ubuntu with it, I had it working with Windows 10 and my DisplayLink works perfect on W10, but I want Ubuntu.

I first tried moving, and installed DisplayLink's drivers for Ubuntu10. It worked fine, at least I could get the monitor connected through HDMI as extended screen which is my goal, but I got the Login Loop issue. At that point, I really needed to get things working so, I rolled back to Windows 10 and decided to do the migration later.

I researched about the Login Loop and tried once again to move to Ubuntu, so I reinstalled back and installed drivers again, however, this time I not only got the Login Loop (which resolves by just booting without having DisplayLink plugged to USB, at least temporarily) but after installing drivers and everything, monitor won't turn on when connecting DisplayLink. Sound and USB on DisplayLink work, so I know it's not the DisplayLink device and when I switched back to Windows 10 (I had to, I need to work somehow) the monitor works fine so there is no hardware issue at all.

However, I don't know why it worked the first time (except for the login loop which is another issue and there is information on how to workaround it) and I don't know why it won't work this time, no matter what I do.

I have to mention that I did read everything I could out there, I deactivated "Safe Boot" on my laptop so drivers could get properly installed (otherwise they won't have successfully installed like they did) but still, the device will simply not turn on my monitor. I even tried connecting a second monitor through the DVI port to see if it was an issue for the HDMI in Ubuntu, but nothing, it won't simply work to extend monitors at all.

What is weird and frustrating is that it once worked out, so why it is not working back again?

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: I know I can do an export through troubleshooting tool, I just switched back to Windows 10 as I needed to continue working, I am thinking of installing Ubuntu side by side with my Windows so I can at least run tests and see, but it worries me, because if I make it work while Ubuntu is side by side, then I will want to just remove Windows (my goal is to switch to Ubuntu 100%) but who can guarantee it will work when I reinstall?
heldmar is offline   Reply With Quote