Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > iPad Application

Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
olapbill

Post what network types are supported?

heres my scenario.
Brand new win 7 pro install. purchased app at work and installed desktop software. No luck. entered IP of my laptop. no luck.
Get my laptop and ipad home, and my laptop now lists as available and it connects fine.
both are g wifi networks. At work my ipad is connected on the same router etc.
I really bought this app for use at work, so can you please be more specific about ports etc that are being used on the pc server side to connect to the ipad?
also, would be nice to have a refresh button on the ipad side to look for new pcs to connect to

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
olapbill

Default -day 2 follow up

So back in to the work environment. Fired up displaylink. Again my ipad is not seen, and even feeding it the ip address of my laptop yields no connection. It's unfortunate that it doesn't seem to play nice in office environments, as it makes it hard to recommend to colleagues. I suppose I will research other solutions.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
olapbill

ok. so no hints? guess its on to the other apps that are available to see if they are more stable.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Feoh

olapbill,

I had similar problems and it turned out to be a firewall issue. After installation on Windows 7 (64) I had to manually add an exception to the Windows Firewall.

Hope this helps,
Feoh.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
wmperry

Default Could be the wireless network configuration...

A lot of wireless routers have a feature where they will isolate users of the network from each other. So you can see all the other computers on your internal (wired) network from machines on the network but you cannot see laptop-1 from laptop-2 when they are both on the wireless.

The airport / time-machine has this, and most routers targeted at enterprises do as well.

Can you SSH or hit a website hosted on your laptop while at your office?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
olapbill

Thanks for the input guys. Feoh, what exception did you end up adding? Again it only happens within the work network.
wmperry, I can see other systems that are wired, even though I am wireless. I will need to verify if I can see other wireless devices on this AP. I'll let you know how I get on.

cheers,
Bill
Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Feoh

olapbill,

Sorry for my late reply.

I opened the Windows Firewall from Control Panel. At the left one can select 'Allow a program or feature through Window Firewall'. In the list look for DisplayLinkIpadSoftware and check all the checkboxes in this line. In my case only Public was unchecked.

Cheers,
Feoh.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Feoh

olapbill,

I use DisplayLink on my laptop and lately I found Connectify to be the perfect companion. It creates a hotspot I connect my iPad to. Works like a charm everywhere regardless of the local infrastructure.

Cheers,
Feoh.

http://www.connectify.me/

Tags
connectivity, wifi, windows 7 64 bit