Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
MeeBi

Default MacBook sleeps after closing lid in Big Sur

Hi,

I've upgraded to Big Sur, Display link works fine, until I close the lid of my MacBook Pro 2017. In Catalina, when closing the lid, the MacBook remained in service (powered on). Does anyone know how to keep the Macbook running while connected to the Display Link (Dell d6000, with Display Link driver voor Big Sur 11.0 installed) with the lid closed. I cannot use my Brydge Dock anymore, as this requires a closed lid. In Catalina the MacBook remained powered on in the dock while Display Link was active and connected.

Appreciate your help.

Last edited by MeeBi; 11-17-2020 at 09:20 AM.
MeeBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeBi View Post
Hi,

I've upgraded to Big Sur, Display link works fine, until I close the lid of my MacBook Pro 2017. In Catalina, when closing the lid, the MacBook remained in service (powered on). Does anyone know how to keep the Macbook running while connected to the Display Link (Dell d6000, with Display Link driver voor Big Sur 11.0 installed) with the lid closed. I cannot use my Brydge Dock anymore, as this requires a closed lid. In Catalina the MacBook remained powered on in the dock while Display Link was active and connected.

Appreciate your help.
According to DisplayLink, closed-display mode (also known as 'clamshell' mode) is not supported when using the DisplayLink Manager App. They speak to this directly in the 'Limitations' section of their knowledgebase article here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...in#limitations
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
MeeBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
According to DisplayLink, closed-display mode (also known as 'clamshell' mode) is not supported when using the DisplayLink Manager App. They speak to this directly in the 'Limitations' section of their knowledgebase article here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...in#limitations
That is strange. I've been using DisplayLink since High Sierra and it always worked with closed display mode, just lik the Dell Latitude mode at the office. so over 2 years it worked and now with Big Sur it stopped and 'it was never supported'??

hope you understand my total surprise
MeeBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeBi View Post
That is strange. I've been using DisplayLink since High Sierra and it always worked with closed display mode, just lik the Dell Latitude mode at the office. so over 2 years it worked and now with Big Sur it stopped and 'it was never supported'??

hope you understand my total surprise
Hello,

Clamshell support is and has been present in our legacy drivers (aka KEXT drivers) 5.2.5 and earlier. This has changed with DisplayLink Manager 1.0 and above. We are working with the OS vendor to add it again to the new platform.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
C0nsjumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,

Clamshell support is and has been present in our legacy drivers (aka KEXT drivers) 5.2.5 and earlier. This has changed with DisplayLink Manager 1.0 and above. We are working with the OS vendor to add it again to the new platform.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
Is there a timeline when the clamshell mode come to DisplayLink Manager 1.1?
C0nsjumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #6
Threesocks

and some more characters so I can follow this thread
Threesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
Omega-Apex

Not sure if anyone still needs it, but I found a workaround that works at least for me
There is an app in a Mac AppStore called Amphetamine. It simply allows you to disable sleep when you close the lid. That prevents a display from going in and out... You can also set up trigger automation, lets say when you have more than one display connected automatically run the app. I'm also suggesting setting up a built-in display as a mirror to 1st external monitor, which allows for the mouse not to run away from you behind the screen border...
Omega-Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
SierraAlpha119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Apex View Post
Not sure if anyone still needs it, but I found a workaround that works at least for me
There is an app in a Mac AppStore called Amphetamine. It simply allows you to disable sleep when you close the lid. That prevents a display from going in and out... You can also set up trigger automation, lets say when you have more than one display connected automatically run the app. I'm also suggesting setting up a built-in display as a mirror to 1st external monitor, which allows for the mouse not to run away from you behind the screen border...
Great idea! I figured someone would have a workaround.
SierraAlpha119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
tvs

You'd have thought that with Big Sur, this annoying problem would disappear. Why is it so hard to fix the clamshell mode issue? Could you elaborate on that?

I'm thinking about switching the product because of this problem. The clamshell issue keeps coming back every time I update the machine and I have to install/uninstall drivers every time until it works stable again.

Thank you very much for a fix in the near future.
tvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #10
youngd24

Default Same issue on Catalina 10.15.3

Having the same issue on Catalina 10.15.3 in clamshell mode, every 60 seconds it goes back to a lock screen, +1 on having this work ASAP. My MBP gets closed up when docked, don't need or want the built in display.
youngd24 is offline   Reply With Quote