Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 08-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
xavierr

Default 10.15.6 update: cannot rotate second monitor

Hi DisplayLink,

I can no longer rotate my external BenQ monitor on my Macbook Pro using DisplayLink.

After updating to MacOs 10.15.6 yesterday overnight, I got the same error msg as everyone else, and I installed the latest drivers from your website today (DisplayLink Manager 1.1.0 (build 54.91)

I tried the following:

(1) in "System Preferences >> Displays >> Popup Window on BenQ Display", the rotation dropdown menu does not appear anymore (worked fine until yesterday)

(2) it does not work if I try to rotate the screen using the displayplacer shell command either:

displayplacer "id:2EC7CD5B-E1B8-E873-BBC7-2E1B66BF9652 res:1792x1120 hz:59 color_depth:4 scaling:on origin:(0,0) degree:0" "id:000009D1-0000-78E6-0101-010100000000 res:1920x1080 hz:60 color_depth:4 scaling:off origin:(1792,0) degree:90"

Error rotating screen 000009D1-0000-78E6-0101-010100000000

Thanks,
Xavier
xavierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Karol

They say that the Rotation is not supported in the new app.
Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
xavierr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karol View Post
They say that the Rotation is not supported in the new app.
Wow. I'm surprised they are switching their users to a new app which doesn't support basic functionality such as screen Rotation (which used to be supported, and has been around for years).

If you don't mind, could you point me to the doc / post that says it's not supported? I would like to know when they plan to add support.

I'm going to downgrade my Amazon review to 2 star based on this... I'm a developer, and I would not have bought this device had I known it didn't support 90 degree rotation.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

DisplayLink Manager App 1.0 with Catalina do not support rotation. It will be supported in DisplayLink Manager 1.1 and Big Sur.

If you wish to use rotation we can suggest using legacy driver 5.2.5 for time being: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1636

Best regards,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
xavierr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,

DisplayLink Manager App 1.0 with Catalina do not support rotation. It will be supported in DisplayLink Manager 1.1 and Big Sur.

If you wish to use rotation we can suggest using legacy driver 5.2.5 for time being: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1636

Best regards,
Katarzyna

Does legacy driver 5.2.5 work on MacOS 10.15.6?

5.2.5 sounds like the driver I was using up until I got an error message this morning (i.e. that my driver needed to be updated because it no longer worked under 10.15.6).
Old 08-15-2020, 12:56 AM   #6
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierr View Post
Does legacy driver 5.2.5 work on MacOS 10.15.6?

5.2.5 sounds like the driver I was using up until I got an error message this morning (i.e. that my driver needed to be updated because it no longer worked under 10.15.6).
Yes, driver 5.2.5 is Catalina 10.15.6 compatible.
5.2.1 is the one that is not compatible with that version of the OS.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #7
idelgado782

Quote:
Wow. I'm surprised they are switching their users to a new app which doesn't support basic functionality such as screen Rotation (which used to be supported, and has been around for years).

If you don't mind, could you point me to the doc / post that says it's not supported? I would like to know when they plan to add support.

I'm going to downgrade my Amazon review to 2 star based on this... I'm a developer, and I would not have bought this device had I known it didn't support 90 degree rotation.
I agree that they should have not automatically updated this application on everyones mac's if all of the functions were not yet working. They should have created a warning page and explained which features were NOT supported with this update, giving users the option to either stay with the legacy driver, or update. OR at least supply us with the option to roll back after the update occurred. Using a Mac in clamshell also does not work with this new update. That was the sole purpose I purchased my dock for, to use my laptop in clamshell mode an extending the display to my two 27in monitors . I have ZERO need to have my 16' pro open taking up space on my desk.
idelgado782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
Gromov

Update to macOS 10.15.6 was terrible experience. So much time wasted and then I have same experience with DisplayLink.
Pretty much same as idelgado782 described.
Spend time to figure out why I can't rotate my display. Can't close laptop cover, because OS would log me out on some interval.

Thanks KatarzynaKowalczyk. Downgrade to 5.2.5 did help.
Hope they will fix issues with new version.
Gromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #9
xavierr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,

Best regards,
Katarzyna

Hi Katarzyna,

My macbook updated to Big Sur and I am having this same problem again...

I've updated my driver to 1.2...

I can only rotate my built in display. I cannot rotate the screens I connect through display link.

Is there something I need to do in order to get it to work?

Thanks,
Xavier
Old 12-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
xavierr

Quote:
Hi Katarzyna,

My macbook updated to Big Sur and I am having this same problem again...

I've updated my driver to 1.2...

I can only rotate my built in display. I cannot rotate the screens I connect through display link.

Is there something I need to do in order to get it to work?

Thanks,
Xavier
For those of you who can't rotate their screen(s) after updating to Big Sur, I suggest you downgrade to 5.2.5 (see link further up in the thread).

TO DISPLAYLINK: for your guide, it is the second time my OS updates and I have to spend hours debugging the issue.

I don't seem to be the only one with issues (see above), and I don't seem to be your only customer who is not happy to have to downgrade drivers each time the OS updates. It would be great if you could look into the issue so that it does not happen in the future.

Respectfully,

Xavier

Tags
1.1.0, 10.15.6, benq, mac, rotation