Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
goat314

Default DisplayLink crashing new PC

I've been using 2 usb adapters using on an older computer, also Win 7 Ult x64 with Nvidia card for quite a while with no issues.

I built a new computer installed Win 7 and have had several issues with the computer freezing (No event in the event viewer, no BSOD). After trying other devices I removed the DisplayLink and disabled the service and have had no issues with the computer since. I really want my 3rd and sometimes 4th monitors active, but am not sure what I can do with the freezing of the computer not giving any relevant troubleshooting information.

Intel core i7 3.2GHz
16 GB DDR3 memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (Driver version 9.18.13.1414 dated 2/28/13)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, very sad with only 2 monitors :-(
goat314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Wim

Does the whole machine freeze or just the displays? The DisplayLink software should not freeze up the computer (obviously) but I wonder if it causes more CPU to be used, which gets the system hotter and causes the freeze? Just a thought?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
goat314

The CPU usage is pretty minimal. Right now I have the problem surmised to be some sort of issue between windows, nvidia drivers, and displaylink service causing windows to hard lock.

I hadn't thought of trying to see if the pc was still responsive in other ways, because I didn't have an obvious way to test it. After work tonight, I'll try sharing out my hard drive, get the system to freeze, and see if the hard drive is still accessible across the network. Thanks for that idea.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Wim

I always press numlock a few times and see if the light goes on and off to see if it really is the whole machine that has frozen up...

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
goat314

Came home from work, computer still running without display link, plugged in the adapter, installed and waited.

It took a while to get the crash (I almost thought it would cooperate and just work). Sure enough, after about an hour and a half, it crashed. Caps Lock did not light up and the computer was not accessible over my network.

It is certain to me at this point, DisplayLink is causing my pc to hard lock. Sooooo, any ideas?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
goat314

Nevermind, seems DisplayLink is off the hook. No software installed, adapters not plugged in, and I got a freeze again today. Now leaning towards a video issue since the problem does seem remarkably worse when using the DisplayLink hardware than when not.

Tags
crash, freeze