Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-03-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
jumble-emissary

Default Help: I need to constantly restart displaylink manager after logout + login

My set-up:

- Macbook M1 Pro 16 inch
- macOS 13.1 (22C65)
- Plugable 12-in-1 USB C Docking Station Triple Monitor (primary displayport monitor + 2 extended HDMI monitors)
- Displaylink manager 1.7.1 (EDIT: Updated to 1.8.0. but no change to problem)

My problem and workarounds:

- When I log-out and re-login to my Mac (which I do several times a day), there's a 50-50 chance that my two extended HDMI displays will go blank
- I can fix this problem by quitting and restarting the displaylink manager app several times (and sometimes I need to unplug and re-plug the cable to my macbook); this process often takes 2-3 minutes
- As a result I spend 2-3 minutes several times a day fiddling with my displays, which is a frustrating experience.

What I am looking for:

- Is there a better solution to my problems?
- If not, is there any keyboard shortcut I can use to quit and restart the displaylink manager app, so that I don't have to use the menubar process several times a day?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! ��

Last edited by jumble-emissary; 02-03-2023 at 10:28 PM.
jumble-emissary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumble-emissary View Post
My set-up:

- Macbook M1 Pro 16 inch
- macOS 13.1 (22C65)
- Plugable 12-in-1 USB C Docking Station Triple Monitor (primary displayport monitor + 2 extended HDMI monitors)

- When I log-out and re-login to my Mac (which I do several times a day), there's a 50-50 chance that my two extended HDMI displays will go blank
- I can fix this problem by quitting and restarting the displaylink manager app several times (and sometimes I need to unplug and re-plug the cable to my macbook); this process often takes 2-3 minutes
- As a result I spend 2-3 minutes several times a day fiddling with my displays, which is a frustrating experience.

What I am looking for:

- If not, is there any keyboard shortcut I can use to quit and restart the displaylink manager app, so that I don't have to use the menubar process several times a day?

If you have not done so already, I would suggest contacting Plugable directly for assistance --> https://plugable.com/pages/support
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:30 PM   #3
jumble-emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
If you have not done so already, I would suggest contacting Plugable directly for assistance --> https://plugable.com/pages/support
Thanks! Are you suggesting contacting Plugable because you believe this is a Plugable hardware issue rather than a DisplayLink software issue?
jumble-emissary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks! Are you suggesting contacting Plugable because you believe this is a Plugable hardware issue rather than a DisplayLink software issue?
I cannot be sure of the cause of the behavior based on the description alone.

In my opinion, the best practice is to first contact the original manufacturer of the product for assistance.

To expand further, DisplayLink is the company that created DisplayLink USB video technology. Many different manufacturers integrate that technology into their products, such as Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, and Plugable.

If the original manufacturer is unable to assist, then the issue can be reported to DisplayLink.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:56 PM   #5
coldfusion

Quote:
My set-up:

- Macbook M1 Pro 16 inch
- macOS 13.1 (22C65)

What I am looking for:

I have almost the same problem, but I'm using a Caldigit TS3+ and a DisplayLink compatible USB to HDMI dongle. The problem is definitely the DisplayLink Manager. I don't have to cycle it multiple times, once works, but about half the time it needs to be restarted upon login or it doesn't detect my monitor.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:14 AM   #6
findjeremy

Angry

Just curious if anyone ever found a resolution for this? I have the exact same problem with pretty much the same frequency (i.e 50:50 whether it will see both monitors or not) after logging out or putting on the screen saver (locked) Usually restarting Displaylink Manager helps but often I have to reboot the whole Plugable unit itself.

It's incredibly frustrating and surely not 'expected behaviour'.

For what its worth I'm using Mac OS 13.2.1 (Ventura) on a Macbook Pro (M1, 2020) with DisplayLink Manager 1.8.0 (build 63.163)
findjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:14 PM   #7
GZakhar

Exclamation

It's not a Plugable or any dongle issue. I don't use any other devices just the built-in Thunderbolt connection. I have the same issue, every time when I close the lid or log out, I need to unplug and replug or quit and re-open the DisplayLink app. Sometimes one of the external monitors is just 'playing' dead, with no picture, no sound. The next day nothing changed and all the monitors just worked as expected.....

I am on a 14" M1 Pro and using DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 (Build 58.125). I tried to update and download the latest version but the installation is running into an error all the time. No error code or no concrete info just 'The installation failed. Contact the software manufacturer'.......

So it's something with the software itself, not dongles or other hardware.
GZakhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:13 PM   #8
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZakhar View Post
It's not a Plugable or any dongle issue. I don't use any other devices just the built-in Thunderbolt connection. I have the same issue, every time when I close the lid or log out, I need to unplug and replug or quit and re-open the DisplayLink app. Sometimes one of the external monitors is just 'playing' dead, with no picture, no sound. The next day nothing changed and all the monitors just worked as expected.....

I am on a 14" M1 Pro and using DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 (Build 58.125). I tried to update and download the latest version but the installation is running into an error all the time. No error code or no concrete info just 'The installation failed. Contact the software manufacturer'.......

So it's something with the software itself, not dongles or other hardware.
In regard to the error you encountered trying to update DisplayLink Manager, please see if this process helps --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...llation-failed
Old 04-17-2023, 05:37 PM   #9
EdwardPierce

I've noticed the same thing.

M1 MacBook Air, Plugable docking station, Samsung and LG monitors. I haven't been able to fix the problem, but I noticed that it got much worse when I switched to OS 13.3.1.

My work-arounds are to not manually put the computer to sleep, but instead let it go idle when I'm not using it. It will go into power save mode on it's own after a couple of minutes anyway and shouldn't use too much juice, especially if you're using it most of the day. When you do need to sleep it, you can avoid the constant quit/re-launch by going into the Activity Monitor --> Memory ---> DisplayLink. Double click on DisplayLink, and then force quit. This will let boot up the program once instead of a bunch of times (in my experience at least).

I suspect this is a compatibility issue between the DisplayLink software and the new version of Mac OS.
EdwardPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #10
huszs67

I have the same problem, but with a Dell docking station.

Definitely a software issue. Any solutions on this?
huszs67 is offline   Reply With Quote