Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
awecomms

Default 2 of 3 monitors keep disconnecting on D3100

I have a Dell D3100 dock, 2 Flatron W2442PA monitors and a HP elite display E231. This is all connected to my Dell Precision 3561 11th Gen I7, 64G ram with a 4G T600 Quadro.

I don't game it is just for work and I mostly write legal documents so not a heavy workload. Sporadically the 2 Flatron Monitors freeze, then disconnect simultaneously. The displays show a no signal message and then rearranges my windows to run off the laptop screen (screen1) and the HP (screen 4). Then after a few seconds, they reconnect, the windows rearrange themselves as they were and it is like nothing happened.

It may happen 3 times in a minute then not again for 4 or 5 hours. The first sign is a screen freeze then the disconnect.

If the dock is faulty I am happy to upgrade to a thunderbolt one but if it just a settings or config issue or if the monitors are the problem, replacing the dock won't help. The other 2 screens keep on working just fine.

I have the latest bios and software from Dell installed on the laptop and the dock, this problem existed in windows 10 and now in 11 and through many updates.

Would love some thoughts.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by awecomms; 12-15-2022 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Left dock model out of title.
awecomms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecomms View Post
I have a Dell D3100 dock, 2 Flatron W2442PA monitors and a HP elite display E231. This is all connected to my Dell Precision 3561 11th Gen I7, 64G ram with a 4G T600 Quadro.

I don't game it is just for work and I mostly write legal documents so not a heavy workload. Sporadically the 2 Flatron Monitors freeze, then disconnect simultaneously. The displays show a no signal message and then rearranges my windows to run off the laptop screen (screen1) and the HP (screen 4). Then after a few seconds, they reconnect, the windows rearrange themselves as they were and it is like nothing happened.

It may happen 3 times in a minute then not again for 4 or 5 hours. The first sign is a screen freeze then the disconnect.

If the dock is faulty I am happy to upgrade to a thunderbolt one but if it just a settings or config issue or if the monitors are the problem, replacing the dock won't help. The other 2 screens keep on working just fine.

I have the latest bios and software from Dell installed on the laptop and the dock, this problem existed in windows 10 and now in 11 and through many updates.

Would love some thoughts.

Thanks in anticipation.
Thank you for the excellent description :-)

To be clear, I am not a DisplayLink employee however I would like to try and help if I can.

With that said, I have two quick questions for you:

1. My impression based on the specifications on your monitors and docking station is that the HP display is connected to the dock's DisplayPort video output and the two LG displays are connected to the dock's HDMI video outputs.

Is my impression correct?

2. By any chance would you happen to have a different computer available to test with the dock temporarily?

I understand of course if that is not possible, however the intent is to isolate the source of the unexpected behavior further.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:24 PM   #3
awecomms

Hi rboerner,
Thanks for the quick response. You are correct, the HP is connect via DP. I have several other computers I can check it with, did you need me to do anything special or just use another laptop for a day or 2? I do run external monitors off this laptop without the D3100 but only 1 typically and while I was waiting for the D3100 to arrive I did rum one of the LG monitors straight from the laptop for a few days without issue. Was a good while ago.
Is it worth swapping an LG with the HP at the monitor for a day or 2 to confirm?
awecomms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecomms View Post
Hi rboerner,
Thanks for the quick response. You are correct, the HP is connect via DP. I have several other computers I can check it with, did you need me to do anything special or just use another laptop for a day or 2? I do run external monitors off this laptop without the D3100 but only 1 typically and while I was waiting for the D3100 to arrive I did rum one of the LG monitors straight from the laptop for a few days without issue. Was a good while ago.
Is it worth swapping an LG with the HP at the monitor for a day or 2 to confirm?
You are of course most welcome for the response :-)

I would suggest simply using the docking station with a different computer without making any other physical changes to see if the behavior differs.

The intent is to determine if the behavior is specific to one laptop.

Presuming for the moment that the 'different' laptop is also running Windows, prior to testing with the 'different' laptop I would suggest installing the latest version of the DisplayLink driver on that system, which is available from here --> https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...nloads/windows
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d3100 monitor dropouts