Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
freddiebb5167

Default Non-4k monitor on 4k port

I have a Pluggable USB-C docking station that has DVI, 2k HDMI, and 4k HDMI. I don't have any 4k monitors. When I plug in a 2k monitor into the 4k port it doesn't work. Is there a setting somewhere or is it just not going to work. Been trying to find info on the docking station manufacturer site but no luck. Thanks for any input anyone has!
freddiebb5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiebb5167 View Post
I have a Pluggable USB-C docking station that has DVI, 2k HDMI, and 4k HDMI. I don't have any 4k monitors. When I plug in a 2k monitor into the 4k port it doesn't work. Is there a setting somewhere or is it just not going to work. Been trying to find info on the docking station manufacturer site but no luck. Thanks for any input anyone has!
Based on your description of the product, it sounds like you are using a Plugable UD-ULTCDL docking station --> https://plugable.com/products/ud-ultcdl Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Presuming for the moment that my impression is indeed correct, the UD-ULTCDL is a 'hybrid' docking station that drives two of its video outputs via a DisplayLink chip, while the remaining video output relies on the capabilities of the host system's USB Type-C port in order to work.

To expand further, the 'HDMI 2K' and the 'DVI' video output ports on the back of the dock are connected to a DisplayLink chip inside of the unit.

The 'HDMI 4K' video output port relies on the video output capabilities of the source computer's USB Type-C port in order to function. This port is not driven by DisplayLink technology.

The host computer's built-in USB Type-C port must support video output in order for the 'HDMI 4K' video output port to function.

If your computer's USB Type-C port does not support video output, than the 'HDMI 4K' port within the dock will not function.

I would suggest consulting the specifications of your computer to determine if it's USB Type-C port supports video output.

If you are unable to do so on your own, I would suggest contacting Plugable directly for assistance --> https://plugable.com/pages/support
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hdmi, hdmi2k, hdmi4k