Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 06-19-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
seigea

Default Ubuntu DisplayLink Devices crash x11 session/computer (?) sometimes (reproducible)

Hey there,

I keep getting crashes with my displaylink device(s), it happens seemingly randomly when doing things with the graphical interface, but moving a youtube window in Firefox across monitors onto the displaylink device crashes it regularly.

It seems the XSession fails, because when it starts back up there is a KWin ghost using exactly 100% of a single thread (4 core processor, 25%)/.
it flashes the Toshiba logo before entering SDDM.
In order to re-enter the X11 session, I must unplug the displaylink device. I can plug it in again after it's back in to the session.
When I Kill it with the system monitor things continue to work as normal.

The computer cannot log in to the X11 session with the DisplayLink device(s) plugged in, especially after the crash. It just stays and returns to the SDDM session.

I am also using another USB C adapter with an HDMI output, in addition to the HDMI on the laptop..

Kubuntu 20.04

Support Tool export attached. From gofanco USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter crashing x11 when moving a youtube window across screens (sometimes doesn't happen the very first time, need to go back and forth mby)

thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2020-06-18T21:33:50.827450.zip (3.17 MB, 0 views)
seigea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:11 AM   #2
seigea

Logs from another crash generated using the same method with 2 devices attached via a USB3 hub (AOC monitor & gofranco HDMI) (attached).
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2020-06-18T22:08:27.416950.zip (2.50 MB, 0 views)
Old 06-19-2020, 04:23 AM   #3
seigea

It seems OpenGL was disabled (which I realized because some window effects weren't working), it had been disabled due to "driver crashing" in the past, but now that it's re-enabled I am not able to easily reporduce the youtube video x11 crash.

I'll test more and see if it crashes anymore or if not having OpenGL running was causing the issue to begin with.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
seigea

Default Still crashing

While switching to OpenGL 3.1 did resolve the reproducible youtube crash, I am still experiences crashes, though less frequent and not as easily reproducible.

Report attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2020-06-19T16:38:30.326840.zip (2.73 MB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
natecovington

Just jumping in to say "me too" with Ubuntu 22.04.1 on my Dell XPS with DisplayStation, 2 screens...

Seems whenever I use Firefox to download a file more than maybe 300mb, the external screens freeze and I normally have to reboot.
natecovington is offline   Reply With Quote