Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
ynchaustira

Exclamation Slow Wakeup After Idle

I have two problems using two display link displays connected to my Lenovo W520 Laptop running Windows 8 after allowing the computer to idle for over an hour. They are:

1) My computer is really slow after coming out of idle. If no applications are running on the computer when it enters the idle state, the machine takes about 30 seconds to show me the logon screen. Once I provide my credentials, it takes about 30 seconds to show the desktop. Because of problem 2 below, I press the Windows+P key to extend the desktop, which takes about 60 seconds to show the slide-out menu for extending the desktop to my other monitors.

2) When I bring my computer out of idle, only the LCD display on the laptop displays the Windows desktop. All other monitors are off.

Once I get my machine back to the state where the desktop is extended across all of my monitors, the computer runs fine. My guess is that this has something to do with the GPU power saving mode on the video adapter. Is there anything I can do to overcome these problems?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,

Randy
ynchaustira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Wim

How much memory does your laptop have? It is possible it is running low on memory and having to cache to disk. I found things slow with 4 DisplayLink displays and 4GB RAM. Upping it to 8GB was like having a new PC as the OS no longer had to cache to disk.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
ynchaustira

Default Slow Wakeup After Idle

Wim,

I do not believe the issue is RAM. My machine started with 8GB. I have since increased the memory to 24GB. I am still guessing that GPU power save mode is at least part of the problem.

Regards,

Randy
ynchaustira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
ttkaminski

I can confirm I have the same problem, where the computer becomes unresponsive for 15 to 30 seconds when starting windows, resuming from sleep, or coming out of idle. (See this thread). I worked around the idle issue by setting up Windows to never put my monitors to sleep (I now manually power off my monitors while I keep my computer running). But the resume from sleep and windows startup are still affected with this very annoying delay. Problem goes away the moment I don't use displaylink, so definitely related.
ttkaminski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gpu, idle, slow performance, windows 8