Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Sonorazona

Default Where is the user manual for v. 7.9?

Nothing is working as expected and I've only just started trying to install this thing. My display won't change -- it's all grayed out. The hardware is listed in programs as "other devices" -- it didn't seem to install as a display adaptor, or at least it doesn't appear in that category. I don't have a "display link utility" icon....or at least if I do, I can't find it. Maybe I've found a way to install the drivers, but I get a huge warning sign from Microsoft saying this will potentially corrupt my display and ruin my laptop. I'm needing help here.

Last edited by Sonorazona; 01-20-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: changed my main concern
Sonorazona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Can you please tell us what product you are using and which Windows version?
Also, I'm linking the FAQ to give us the log files for investigation.

Could you also give us the exact error message?
If you use Windows 7, you need your computer up to date to verify Microsoft driver signature with Microsoft certificates. If you don't want to update your computer, then you will have to install 7.9M3 and not 7.9M4.

The icon doesn't show if there's no screen being driven.
The logs will bring a bit of clarity.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Sonorazona

Sorry - Didn't realize I wasn't on the device's home page any more as you came up under a query for the users manual.
I'm trying to connect my laptop (Dell XPS 2 in 1) to a smart TV via an HDMI cable. I only have USB ports on the laptop, so I'm trying to configure a Cable Matters USB 3.0 to HDMI/DVI Adapter Model 103046 compatible with Windows 10, my OS. Software is DisplayLink v. 7.9.
The included set up instructions refer you to the DisplayLink utility located on the Taskbar notification area in Windows, but it isn't there. I can't change the resolution on my computer because it is grayed out. I don't understand how to do any of the directions - perhaps if I had the icon to open it would make more sense? I've checked that the program is installed, and that it is running, but I also noted that it installed under "other devices" rather than as a display something.
My computer is totally up to date, Windows 10. I'll see what I can do with the link you provided -- thought I'd add a little clarity to my question in the meantime.
Thank you, by the way, for your kind reply to my 'off the wall' (as I now realize they were) questions.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Sonorazona

I tried to download the Display Link Windows Support Tool from the link provided and got this message from McAffee Virus Protection:
"The signature of Display Link Windows Support Tool 1.0.0.26.exe is corrupted or invalid" with a recommendation to delete the file, which I did.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

This is normal behaviour NOT to have the icon unless you have a device and monitor connected. We will be changing this in version 8 of our drivers to show the icon all the time.

If the monitor is grey, maybe it is simply disabled in Windows. Have you tried clicking on the grey screen and then "extend" your desktop?

We don't use McAfee for many reasons. You can however test the file through VirusTotal for peace of mind. Detected as an issue by 1 anti-virus out of 54 tested demonstrating a false positive.
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7...is/1453737259/

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 10 os