Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
VegaED

Default Intermittent Issues

I'm getting some very odd issues with my USB 3.0 Dock. After a relatively good run of stable use (going on 3+ months), this morning I came in and my external monitors and network connection were not recognized. All of my attached USB devices worked, however. I upgraded to the latest Display Link Windows driver version and reconnected the dock. It seemed to work, ext. monitors were good, network connection was strong... But after about 15 to 30 min both my monitors went blank, no network but USB devices still worked. I unplugged the USB connection to my laptop, cycled the power on the dock and reconnected.... Monitors & network were back.... for about 15 to 30 minutes and the same happened.

I updated all my hardware drivers (there was a USB Host & BIOS update). But I've spent the majority of the day just trying to get it working correctly again. Even after removing & re-installing the drivers for the dock it refuses to be recognized... USB devices all work but not the monitor or network. The Display Link manager doesn't show up in the System Tray when this happens like it isn't plugged in (or no monitors plugged in). Just about 10 minutes ago after the third time of removing the driver software and reinstalling it and getting no where, I tried cycling the power on the dock one last time and lo & behold when I plugged the USB into my laptop it brought up the "Configuring Display Link..." screen and things are working like they should. I'm concerned this is yet again going to be temporary.

Has anyone seen issues like this?

Thanks, Eric

Last edited by VegaED; 09-30-2013 at 07:47 PM.
VegaED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
VegaED

Default Sure Enough

Sure enough, after 15 or 30 minutes my displays shut off again and went into sleep mode. Display Link Manager is still running this time and I can move my mouse off the edge of the screen like the external monitors are still there but they continue to go to sleep like they aren't getting any input. I still have lights on the network connection on the dock but none getting thru to the laptop.

I took some logs with the support tool I will try and post with this update.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BSCBS3ITS012LK_20130930_155506.zip (1.87 MB, 4 views)
Old 10-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Sabbasolo

Have a look to see what is happening to your memory - apparently there is a memory leak in the 7.4M0 drivers that a few of us have reported
Sabbasolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
VegaED

So I'm pretty sure this isn't a memory leak issue as my memory usage stays about the same level and occasionally I have just unplugged the dock from the laptop for a min. or two and plugged it back in and gotten access to my monitors again. Rarely but it happened once or twice. Most of the time I have to unplug the dock from the laptop & cycle the power on the dock. Then about 1 time in 5 I get access back to my monitors. Occasionally I also get a "USB Device Not Recognized" error (attached).

It's unusual in the fact that everything worked great for 5+ months and then all of a sudden just stopped with these symptoms. I have in the last two days gotten 2 instances where it worked great for just about 2 hours but then failed. Most times its about 15 to 20 min.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Unknown USB.zip (43.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
JamesH

Hi,

Does this happen on the USB 3.0 port on the left of your notebook as well?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
VegaED

I've tried the ports on the back & right but not on the left. I can try that side too I suppose.

I changed the USB into the port on the left side of the laptop at 8:44 AM. (edited to add port change & time)

Last edited by VegaED; 10-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
VegaED

Yes... Plugged into the left side USB port the video/network parts of the dock failed at 9:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try with the R7.4 M2 software?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote