Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 05-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
invrich

Default Dsiplaylink Driver and Ubuntu 18.04

I have just installed the displaylink drivers version 4.2.29 to try and get my additional screens working. I run a Lenovo laptop with a Intel 5000 primary video card and a NVIDIA GTX960 secondary and a Lenovo dock which uses displaylink.

When I installed the displaylink driver the displays will start working. The only problem I noticed is that the mouse cursor artifacts on GTK menu bars. However if I reboot I get up to the login screen and enter my credentials but the desktop will never load it just loops back to the login screen.

Anyone having similar issues? I can only assume this to be a problem with the driver itself.

Any ETA on when are we going to get a fully supported 18.04 driver?
invrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
jmateo

Hello,

same issue here
jmateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:47 AM   #3
egandt

Default Been able to install drivers, but then I loss X

I've tried three times my laptop have Intel/Nvidia I have the latest 390 version driver installed and working. great using sddm and KDE.
However as soon as i finish installing the Displaylink 4.2 driver (which installs cleanly), and reboot, X no longer works. Well the system thinks it started, but there is no display present, this is without even plugging in the USB monitor. Even switching to runlevel 3 and then trying to start X reports no errors, but again does not actually display anything, just thinks that X is started and running.

The first time I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu 18.04, the second time I figured out that uninstalling the DisplayLink driver and rebooting repaired X. So it is definitely something to do with DisplayLink regardless of plugging in the monitor, I'm just at a loss to explain what, as it is not as if X fails to start it just fails to actually display anything (it is as if it is on a virtual monitor, but even that does not seem correct).

Ideas?
ERIC

EDIT: Got it working finally, needed the displayLink monitor plugged in when I rebooted.

Last edited by egandt; 05-10-2018 at 10:59 PM.
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
egandt

Default Laggy Box behind Cursor

There is this very-very annoying box behind the cursor now when using displaylink. If I leave the mouse in one place for a few second then all is well but on moving the mouse it comes back and makes using the system difficult.
I'm running KDE Plasma with SDDM and Nvidia 390 drivers.

What do I do to remove this X behind the mouse?
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
invrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
There is this very-very annoying box behind the cursor now when using displaylink. If I leave the mouse in one place for a few second then all is well but on moving the mouse it comes back and makes using the system difficult.
I'm running KDE Plasma with SDDM and Nvidia 390 drivers.

What do I do to remove this X behind the mouse?
ERIC
This happened to me as well in Gnome. I don't think there is anything you can do about it until they release a fully supported driver.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
invrich

I was able to get this somewhat working. The mouse flickering is still a problem but a minor annoyance. Seems to be that if I initialise my main monitor while the displaylink adaptor is connected it will freeze the desktop. However if the same process is completed with the adaptor disconnected the desktop is fine. After the login to the desktop connect the displaylink adaptor and initialise your other monitors. Seems to hold after a reboot as well.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
mss

Hi,

I just got a new HP Envy 17inch (i7-8550U and 16GB) with 2 Samsung curved screens plus the i-tech CADUAL4KDOCK.

Same problem with the drivers. Managed to make the screens work and also have the flickering mouse pointer and the square around it.

The problem is that the computer moves really slow. Any suggestions/ideas why? Surely the CPU and memory are not an issue.

Would help if the driver has support for Nvidia cards. Mine is GeForce MX150/PCIe/SSE2.

@Displaylink Team, please make the drivers for Ubuntu 18 or get a solution for this.
You have a great product (hardware) and software should be up to date too.

Last edited by mss; 05-17-2018 at 12:34 PM.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
SDR user KC7NOA

Sounds more like a USB bandwidth ...

I have a totally different problem...

My early displaylink works fine ... but when i reboot, its not detected ... i must unplug and reinsert. Then xrandr the display into operation ...
SDR user KC7NOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
madscientist

Default Solution...

It looks like this problem, and workaround is included (I haven't tested this personally):

https://support.displaylink.com/know...hen-displaylin
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
SDR user KC7NOA

I will try it ... though i dont have a nvida gpu ...
SDR user KC7NOA is offline   Reply With Quote