Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
Howard Long

While the Lindy product doesn't work, I am delighted to report that the Startech USB32DPPRO does work with the 27" Apple Cinema Display (ACD), at the full 2560x1440 resolution, both in native Windows (bootcamped) and from OSX. This works around an outstanding problem with Apple's Thunderbolt port, where daisy chaining from a Thunderbolt Display to an ACD won't work without an interim thunderbolt device like a hard drive in OSX, and not at all in Windows.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...productDetails

You still need a displayport to minidisplayport adapter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Dis...ni+displayport

Just did a side-by-side comparison streaming BBC iplayer full screen, and there's little to compare between the direct-attached Thunderbolt display and the ACD running of the Startech device. Even Flight Simulator (FSX) in native Windows was usable on the ACD attached to the Startech.

My test setup FWIW is a Mac Mini Server (late 2012) with USB 3.0, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM.

So I think we can safely say now that the Lindy device simply won't work with an ACD.

Cheers, Howard
Howard Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #22
shakman

Default Anyone had any success with the latest hardware?

Thanks for your post Howard, that's great to hear!

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this yet and had any success? Also, has anyone tried driving the apple LED 27" display with USB2.0 at any resolution? My PC only has a usb2.0. I don't need it to be fast... as long as it displays a reasonably clear image.
shakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
shakman

Default DisplayLink now works with Apple Cinema Display 27"

Hi all,

Just confirming that StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort adapter USB32DPPRO is now working great for me on a core2duo Dell laptop PC via a USB 2.0 port to an Apple Cinema LED Display 27" (non-thunderbolt).

The issue I was having is that I was using a SIIG displaylink adapter (not a StarTech one). The SIIG adapter does NOT work with the Cinema Display (same problem as Lindy adapter that other folks are having on this thread). The StarTech adapter works PERFECTLY!

I'm using following:

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StarTech 6 inch DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Video Cable Adapter - M/F :

Dell Latitude E4200 via USB 2.0 port, 3GB RAM, Win7.

I'm getting the full native resolution of 1260x1440. The picture is perfect. The refresh rate is good enough for daily web browsing, email etc, but obviously not good for games since i'm using usb2.0. However, I'm just using it for work and I'm using remote Desktop / VNC which works perfectly and the refresh rate is good enough for me. Even with just a dual-core 1.6ghz cpu, the performance is pretty impressive!

Additionally, I'm also using a cheap display port switcher to switch between my mac-mini and Dell laptop:
Kanex SnapX 2x Switcher for Mac ($28 on amazon). This works perfectly too!

I've also got a Dell port replicator (docking station), and it works fine thru it's USB2.0 port as well. I'm a happy camper

One hint: if you don't have the cinema display drivers installed on your PC, don't worry. The audio works out of the box on Windows 7, including the volume control. The brightness control is not available without the driver. However, if you set the brightness of the monitor using the mac, the monitor will remember it and use the same for the PC. The drivers are apparently available in Boot Camp and can be installed on a PC, but I haven't tried it. There are several other threads discussing that. I have yet to try the iSight camera on the display thru the PC...

Thanks again Howard Long for sharing that the StarTech adapter works on a bootcamped mac. I can now happily say it works great on a relatively low-end PC as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #24
shakman

Thanks a lot Howard! The startech adapter works on a PC thru a usb2.0 port as well.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Casshern

I can also confirm that the StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Displayport adapter is working with the Apple Cinema LED Display (mini displayport). The Lindy adapter did not, not even after exchangeing it with referencing this forum and the statement that there should be a new design correcting this bug. So as far as I know, stay clear of the Lindy, get the StarTech.com if you want to use the Apple Cinema Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Hi all,

Just confirming that StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort adapter USB32DPPRO is now working great for me on a core2duo Dell laptop PC via a USB 2.0 port to an Apple Cinema LED Display 27" (non-thunderbolt).

The issue I was having is that I was using a SIIG displaylink adapter (not a StarTech one). The SIIG adapter does NOT work with the Cinema Display (same problem as Lindy adapter that other folks are having on this thread). The StarTech adapter works PERFECTLY!

I'm using following:

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StarTech 6 inch DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Video Cable Adapter - M/F :

Dell Latitude E4200 via USB 2.0 port, 3GB RAM, Win7.

I'm getting the full native resolution of 1260x1440. The picture is perfect. The refresh rate is good enough for daily web browsing, email etc, but obviously not good for games since i'm using usb2.0. However, I'm just using it for work and I'm using remote Desktop / VNC which works perfectly and the refresh rate is good enough for me. Even with just a dual-core 1.6ghz cpu, the performance is pretty impressive!

Additionally, I'm also using a cheap display port switcher to switch between my mac-mini and Dell laptop:
Kanex SnapX 2x Switcher for Mac ($28 on amazon). This works perfectly too!

I've also got a Dell port replicator (docking station), and it works fine thru it's USB2.0 port as well. I'm a happy camper

One hint: if you don't have the cinema display drivers installed on your PC, don't worry. The audio works out of the box on Windows 7, including the volume control. The brightness control is not available without the driver. However, if you set the brightness of the monitor using the mac, the monitor will remember it and use the same for the PC. The drivers are apparently available in Boot Camp and can be installed on a PC, but I haven't tried it. There are several other threads discussing that. I have yet to try the iSight camera on the display thru the PC...

Thanks again Howard Long for sharing that the StarTech adapter works on a bootcamped mac. I can now happily say it works great on a relatively low-end PC as well.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote