Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Micat

Default 3 Monitors not displaying after restart

Just wanted to share this issue with others in case it might help someone:

Updated one of my users to the latest version of DisplayLink Driver v.6.3 the other day. Since then, after they shut down their computer for the night and then turn it back on the next day, all three of the monitors stay black. Two of them would be on, with the third in standby mode, however the two that were on did not display anything on them.

The user has a Dell E6520, 4GB RAM, running WIN7/64 with 3 Dell monitors ((2) P2211 and (1)1907) and an NVIDIA 4200M video card. One of the P2211 monitors is plugged into an IOGEAR GUC2020DW6 DVI External Video card.

Here is what fixed it:

1. Un-installed DisplayLink Driver V.6.3
2. Unplugged IOGear Device
3. Restarted - everything came up as expected
4. Plugged IOGear Device back in
5. Let Windows 7 auto-install the DisplayLink Driver
6. Win7 put DisplayLink Driver version 6.1 back on and it worked normally after that
Micat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Usacad

I guess is a different version of the same problem I'm having. Happens with 6.3 and 7 beta (so far), but 6.2 works perfectly.
Usacad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Micat

Default Blue screen on another laptop with NVIDIA and Windows 7

I am wondering if the blue screen that we are encountering with another laptop is caused by the DisplayLink Driver 6.3 also. It is a Dell Latitude E6500 with an NVIDIA QUADRO NVS 160M and WIN7/32.

The user's hard drive crashed (a separate issue) and Dell sent us a new one. I rebuilt the hard drive...everything fresh and clean with Windows 7 32-bit, and I put the latest DL driver on there and had the hardest time getting the three monitors to setup correctly, but eventually it worked when I switched them from a standard ePort docking station to an extended ePort docking station.

However, not soon after that, the user started experiencing intermittent BSOD. At first I thought that the display driver was crashing with the Vipre virus software, so I updated the display driver from NVIDIA, but then it continued to crash with other software or with nothing running at all. I ended up giving them a different computer and I have this one at my desk trying to figure out the cause. I have now uninstalled the DL 6.3 driver and it blue screened after I removed it! It definitely had an error message that stated something about the display. We will see if removing it resolves the blue screens. I hope so.
Micat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Wim

Can you try v7.0 Beta as there is a known BSOD in v6.3 that can occur with certain desktop layouts on some GPUs.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Yubi

I have the same problem going on as the OP but without it being resolved by his process. I've found that the DisplayLinkManager process isn't starting on boot up. I'm unsure of what's causing this and I may do some more troubleshooting but at this point I'm just going to restart the service every time I reboot my machine to get it working again.

There is no blue screen and I have tried various versions, 6.1, 6.3 and 7.0 with the same results. I'm also running windows 7.

For anyone else that has this same issue simply run "services.msc" scroll down to DisplayLinkManager, right click on it and hit restart. It'll do it's thing and you should be good to go again.

I might just write a script to run on startup to do this for me. We'll see how ambitious I get.
Yubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Wim

Yubi - can you post the logs just after this issue occurs, so we can see why this happens?

Could you gather the logs with v6.3 M1?

Thanks

Wim
Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Rtaylor

I am having the same trouble as well using a 3rd monitor. With the USB adapter plugged in I get a blank screen on all the monitors until I disconnect the adapter. When I plug it back they go blank again. I can only get all 3 monitors on if I disconnect on that is directly plugged into the PC, while the adapter is plugged in, and then reconnect it. I have tried 6.2, 6.3m1 and 7 without resolve.

Last edited by Rtaylor; 08-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtaylor View Post
I am having the same trouble as well using a 3rd monitor. With the USB adapter plugged in I get a blank screen on all the monitors until I disconnect the adapter. When I plug it back they go blank again. I can only get all 3 monitors on if I disconnect on that is directly plugged into the PC, while the adapter is plugged in, and then reconnect it. I have tried 6.2, 6.3m1 and 7 without resolve.
Can you post your log files with v6.3 M1 installed, as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Thanks

Wim
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Rtaylor

Here's the info with v7 installed, I'll have to roll back later to 6.3
Attached Files
File Type: zip TUSVA079DKVT14B_20120812_080436.zip (360.0 KB, 1 views)
Rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtaylor View Post
Here's the info with v7 installed, I'll have to roll back later to 6.3
Can you try updating your Intel Graphics driver:

Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 8.15.10.2279 Dated 2011/01/07

It looks quite old and could explain why you are seeing issues with all displays with DisplayLink.

Wim