Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
arcasys

Default xfce crashes with xrandr command

What I did:

.xprofile contains a line
xinput set-prop 8 "Evdev Axis Calibration" 0 4100 0 6500 to fix the calibration
This part works. The line is necessary to fix the calibration issue because the touch controller assumes the combined display areas instead of just thd touch monitors area.
- Most of the time after that , the DisplayLink Monitor (DVI-1-0) remains black. This time it showed the xfce background and starting an application using this display worked.
- Run the command
xrandr --output DVI-1-0 --auto --right-of DP2
to provoke a crash.
- xfce crashes. Debug data should have been forwarded to Ubuntu.

A zip created with the DisplayLink debug Tool is attached.

As said, most of the time the display remains black in the first place. It will only show if a program using the second display has already sent some output to this monitor and the display position is changed using xrandr: surprisingly,
trying to set the position to 'below-of', which is the configured default, does nothing,
setting the postition to 'same-as' might or might not set it to 'below-of',
setting the position to 'right-of' and subsequently to 'below-of' mostly works nut sometimes this has to be repeated several times.

In any case, this is not an acceptable workaround for an end user and I'd be very glad if this issue could be resolved.
Attached Files
File Type: zip m4y-hp_2016-02-01T10:58:48.679701.zip (46.3 KB, 4 views)
arcasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Szymon
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hi arcasys,

I've checked the logs you've uploaded. Apparently, neither EVDI kernel module nor user mode daemon DisplayLinkManager shows any signs of presence. Could you check if you are able to successfully load the kernel module:

sudo insmod evdi

If not, it would be useful if you upload an output from the installer which may require reinstall:

sudo ./displaylink-driver-1.0.335.run uninstall
sudo ./displaylink-driver-1.0.335.run install

Regards,
Szymon

Last edited by Szymon; 02-02-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Post formatting
Szymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
mlukaszek

I see this device is actually using in-box UDL kernel module - so, EVDI and DisplayLinkManager are not required to support those devices. What you see is generic xfce crash caused by screen layout change, most likely.
I don't see signs of failures in kernel trace, UDL looks fine. It would be interesting to see what was sent to Canonical when xfce crashed - you could peek into /var/crash and check if apport saved a crash file there. This can give you some hints.

Cheers,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #4
arcasys

Unfortunately, I had the machine with the display for evaluation and had to return it to HP. However, they will contact me and I might get another machine for followup.
mlukaszek is right. The DisplayLink driver is not required for this type of display. Nonetheless I gave it a try before and the only effect was that the display showed up twice in the display configuration. The glitches with xfce and probably the framebuffer driver (my suspect) werre the same: no output and crashes.
HP is telling us it would work flawlessly with OpenSuse. I'll let you know ...

Thanks so far and regards,
Hans
arcasys is offline   Reply With Quote