Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Denis

Unhappy Docking station crash

Hi,

I am using a Targus ACP71AU docking station with my recently purchased Dell XPS 15 laptop (with nVidia GeForce GT 640M display adapter).

I have 2 x Dell P2411H monitors connected to the docking station and am running each in 1920 x 1080.

I have 2 issues:
1) the docking station dies about once a day, sometimes up to 3 times. My screens are frozen with their last image and the laptop screen turns on and becomes active. I need to completely power off the docking station and unplug it from latop, and then power it on/reconnect it to get everything working again.
2) when moving the mouse around the screen the pointer frequently freezes up for a second before moving again

Since it is a new laptop I have manually updated all drivers recently and they can be assumed to be up to date.

Can someone please help?

Last edited by Denis; 03-20-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Wim

Can you post the logs from when the freeze takes place?

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Cakey

I've a HP3005PR USB3.0 docking station with 2 monitors and a 3rd monitor with a Startech USB32DVIPRO and get 1-2 monitor freezes per day on the Startech, occasionally more, just had a 2nd freeze this morning on the Startech whilst typing this.

I can pretty much guarantee a freeze if I put Chrome (run with --reduce-gpu-sandbox, otherwise it wont run at all!!) on the monitor and scroll up down a few times with the scroll bar, page-up-down with the keyboard is fine but a mouse scroll on a web page is about 50% chance of a freeze.

I've attached a log from the Diagnostic Tool from the 1st freeze.

Would really love to see a fix to this.

Thanks

Kate
Attached Files
File Type: zip LKWILKINS01_20130322_081029.zip (753.5 KB, 0 views)
Cakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Denis

I have attached the file.

Both screens were frozen, the only way I could run the support tool was to unplug the USB cord of the docking station from my laptop. After this I then had full control of the laptop and could run the support tool. I hope it is sufficient.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PC939_20130325_124919.zip (1.35 MB, 0 views)
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Just Me

Default Enable your laptop screen

You may want to enable your laptop screen next time you run the diagnostics. Then when the external monitor(s) freeze, you should be able to still use the laptop screen to run the diagnositcs. This does not work for everyone.

If your laptop monitor does work while your external monitor(s) are frozen, then you can try these steps. Open device manager, expand "universal serial bus controllers" and then one at a time disable and then enable the USB Composite Devices. If you have an external mouse running from a USB port then you may lose it and have to use your laptop's built-in touchpad. If the external monitor(s) start working again then you have found the composite device that it/they are on. Not a solution but it may be easier than unplugging your DL adapter and then plugging it back in.

I am hoping 7.2 will solve this problem for me.
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote