Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 01-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
Wozzy

Default "Your screen is being observed" message

We have noticed that when you Lock your screen (Lock not Logout) when you are plugged into a DisplayLink Dock then your see this on screen

Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 13.06.17.jpg
Wozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
dryheat3

I am surprised there have been no other replies to this question yet.

To the best of my understanding:

Part of the setup process after installing the DisplayLink manager/driver is to open the security/privacy settings and enable DisplayLink manager to record your screen. This message is merely informing you that the access you provided DisplayLink manager is being used.

It is also my understanding that DisplayLink manager/driver will not function unless this permission is granted.

Sure would be nice to get a response from a moderator or tech support to confirm. I have not been able to find any explanation of this from an authoritative source.
dryheat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
GrayBeard

I seriously doubt you looked for an answer, as it is right here on DisplayLink Support page https://support.displaylink.com/know...ticles/1916602
GrayBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
dryheat3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
I seriously doubt you looked for an answer, as it is right here on DisplayLink Support page https://support.displaylink.com/know...ticles/1916602
I spent about an hour searching. I started by searching in THIS forum and only found this post. Then I used the search function on the DisplayLink website. Zero results. In the end I wound up searching on the Internet and only found a couple of posts (reddit, macrumors) but none of them explained the details.

Thanks for providing the answer in this post so that at least now when folks are using the search function in the forum they will immediately find the answer. Notice the webpage you linked does not contain any of the phrase most folks are using to search for this. Nowhere in that page is the phrase "Your screen is being observed". Even a simple detail like adding the word "observed" to this webpage might help it to show up in search results for this topic. Hope that helps. Thanks again for taking the time to post the solution.
dryheat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

We don't find the messages particularly helpful or even correctly describing what is taking place. It is most likely because some screen sharing applications would use similar hooks.
However, we haven't yet been successful in getting them tweaked.

Despite what the permission wording suggests, DisplayLink does NOT record any screen content.
DisplayLink driver does not call home either: we do not know when the application is running or what it is connected to. All your stuff stays local.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote