Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
Wim

Thanks for the video. The cursor is a bit slower here, as we're having to update all the pixels on the screen during full screen video. USB bandwidth is not the bottleneck. It's due to the screen updates we get with video and some applications.

It's understood and what you are seeing is expected at the moment. But we do want to improve this, as the mouse does not need to be a bit slower in these situations.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
plop28

glad to read that wim

Thank's
plop28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Pazuzu

My video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQNno57eYYg

First shows that it works fine on laptop screen and mirrored and extended modes.
Then shows how it works fine with only secondary screen running but only when laptop is still open.
Then shows how the error behaves. Everything lags heavily. Windows, menus, mouse pointer, video. The computer becomes useless and no work can be done. But strangely enough some graphics is not affected by any lag...

Last edited by Pazuzu; 11-25-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Pazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
My video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQNno57eYYg

First shows that it works fine on laptop screen and mirrored and extended modes.
Then shows how it works fine with only secondary screen running but only when laptop is still open.
Then shows how the error behaves. Everything lags heavily. Windows, menus, mouse pointer, video. The computer becomes useless and no work can be done. But strangely enough some graphics is not affected by any lag...
Thanks for the video. This is interesting and the fact that it only occurs when you close the laptop lid leads me to believe it is not directly related to our driver software.

It looks like when the lid is closed, the laptop is downclocking the CPU, or changing something system to save battery power. The performance you are seeing looks like the performance I would expect on a really low end PC system.

Are there any power settings on the laptop that changes the behaviour when the lid closes?

Wim
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #25
Pazuzu

Energy settings can be set differently whether on battery power or plugged in. The lid ACPI doesn't have anything to do with performance.

But just to try it out I set the CPU performance to the lowest when plugged in, and yes some hardly noticeable lag could be detected if I looked closely... but nothing in the vicinity off this behavior.

Underlining a link or changing the color of a little button on a website shouldn't make everything lag. And the keyboard buffer lags. And NIC traffic kills everything.

At the same time some graphic changes doesn't create any lag, as I show in the video. And for example internet explorer works better (because it uses the GPU more?!) These are all just hints, but something really strange and buggy is going on. Maybe you should get a lenovo yoga 13" and try it out? I can try to find another laptop with USB 3 in the office and test the dock with it.

Last edited by Pazuzu; 11-27-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Energy settings can be set differently whether on battery power or plugged in. The lid ACPI doesn't have anything to do with performance.

But just to try it out I set the CPU performance to the lowest when plugged in, and yes some hardly noticeable lag could be detected if I looked closely... but nothing in the vicinity off this behavior.

Underlining a link or changing the color of a little button on a website shouldn't make everything lag. And the keyboard buffer lags. And NIC traffic kills everything.

At the same time some graphic changes doesn't create any lag, as I show in the video. And for example internet explorer works better (because it uses the GPU more?!) These are all just hints, but something really strange and buggy is going on. Maybe you should get a lenovo yoga 13" and try it out? I can try to find another laptop with USB 3 in the office and test the dock with it.
Our driver has no change of behaviour when the lid is closed, so it is definitely something changing the in system to provide less CPU or system resources.

I've done a google about this and found this thread, which states that the yoga will throttle the CPU when in tablet mode. I wonder if closing the lid is triggering tablet mode.

This post suggests how to turn it off:

Quote:
  • Turn off Intel Dynamic Dynamic Platform in BIOS
  • Disable or uninstall Lenovo Transition
  • Disable yogaserver.exe through taskmgr
  • Keep Lenovo Energy Management installed.
The above setup makes it possible for me to get full speed in tablet mode, and thanks to Energy Management the CPU can still downclock correctly.
Can you try this and see if it solves the issue?

Wim
Old 11-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
Pazuzu

It seems to have fixed the problem by just disabling Intel "Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework".

It's still strange that it seems to work for most people. And what does DPTF actually do? And why doesn't lenovo support their own product correctly?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
Pazuzu

There's a new driver for it that came two days ago:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS031992
But it doesn't install. I've emailed Lenovo about it.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #29
nickfmc

Angry Same Issue, no fix

I have the same mouse issues as described by people above on my Sony Vaio Laptop Win 8.1, however none of the fixes work and mine does not get better when it is any mode, extend duplicate nothing seems to matter, I'm using a Toshiba Dynadock latest version with latest firmware. latest HD4000 driver and latest displaylink driver!
nickfmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #30
sdejan12

Unhappy Same issue

It's July 2014 and it doesn't work still like it should.
All drivers updated to latest...

Are there any solution found??
sdejan12 is offline   Reply With Quote